cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

BOM and Revision table within template or seperate tables?

Prasad_G
10-Marble

BOM and Revision table within template or seperate tables?

Hi community,

We have a drawing template for our company which looks like this. The BOM table and Revision table are currently part of the template itself.

Prasad_G_0-1669959915072.png

Recently we released a new version of format.

Upon changing the format to latest format for existing drawings some users faced some issue with Revision table (the lines of older table did not exactly match with new table).

Post this problem now we are evaluating whether to keep BOM and Revision table as part of drawing template or add them as separate tables

What is your opinion on this?

How do other companies handle new format rollout?

Any response would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Prasad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Prasad_G)

Our formats include the revision and BOM tables. When the format is changed out for an updated version, I tell the users to remove all tables so they get the new ones. If the BOM is large, or the format of it has not changed, I let them keep the BON table as that will preserve the Item Numbers and balloons. Our revision table is all manually entered text, so if the fields change size, then I would expect the data to be misaligned BUT only if the text is enterd on the face of the drawing and not in the table cells. If the text is in table cells, then the replacement table would be blank anyway. As with the BOM, they can retain the existing revision table if it did not get revised.

We put as much of the information in the titeblock as parameters so a newer format will maintain the information when it is replaced.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Prasad_G)

Our formats include the revision and BOM tables. When the format is changed out for an updated version, I tell the users to remove all tables so they get the new ones. If the BOM is large, or the format of it has not changed, I let them keep the BON table as that will preserve the Item Numbers and balloons. Our revision table is all manually entered text, so if the fields change size, then I would expect the data to be misaligned BUT only if the text is enterd on the face of the drawing and not in the table cells. If the text is in table cells, then the replacement table would be blank anyway. As with the BOM, they can retain the existing revision table if it did not get revised.

We put as much of the information in the titeblock as parameters so a newer format will maintain the information when it is replaced.

We do the same thing as Ben does for format changes. We have thousands of drawings from decades of work, and bringing up a particularly old one it will look really horrible. If we're making a revision to one of these oldies, the first thing is always to "fix" the format tables. It's not nice.

Top Tags