cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Expanding the middle part of a pipe

pbachert
1-Newbie

Expanding the middle part of a pipe

Hi everyone,

Beginner with PTC (or any other CAD-software), so bear with me. I am using PTC Creo Elements for a small private project.

This is probably a dumb question but I failed to find a solution. I have designed a pipe with some holes and pins at either end. When I want to extend the length of the pipe, the new part is always added at the end of the pipe, while the holes/pins stay at place. However, I want them to be at the ends of the extended pipe, because this is where I want to join another pipe. Is there a way to extend the pipe "in the middle"? I tried adding a new workplane in the middle of the pipe inserting a new part but that didn't work. Do I have to create a pipe with the "proper" length in the first place? I actually want to try out some different lengths.

I have tried to find a solution using the search function without success. Probably the answer is too simple to raise a question in this forum.

Any idea is truly appreciated

pbachert

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:pbachert)

There are a couple of ways to change the length of your pipe while keeping the pins and holes relative to the ends.

One way is use the "Move 3D" command. The key is when you select the items to move, select the end face, the faces of the hole, and the all of the pin at the same time; the easiest way to do this is to select "By VP Frame". Selecting all of the faces of the pin will cause that part to be moved.

move_end_pin_hole.JPG

Another way is to cut the pipe in the middle, move one section (plus the pin), move one end of the cut section until it meets the other, then unite the parts back together. This takes more steps, but is sometimes more straight-forward if the geometry in the middle is more complicated than a simple pipe.

move_middle.JPG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Patric,

When you select the dimensioning reference for the location of the hole, use the end surface of the pipe that the hole needs to be near. That way, when you change the length of the pipe, the hole moves with the end of the pipe. This also provides you with dimensions to show on a drawing that are functional. If the hole needs to be 0.5" away from the end of the pipe in order for it to connect to the next pipe, define it that way.

ES

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:pbachert)

There are a couple of ways to change the length of your pipe while keeping the pins and holes relative to the ends.

One way is use the "Move 3D" command. The key is when you select the items to move, select the end face, the faces of the hole, and the all of the pin at the same time; the easiest way to do this is to select "By VP Frame". Selecting all of the faces of the pin will cause that part to be moved.

move_end_pin_hole.JPG

Another way is to cut the pipe in the middle, move one section (plus the pin), move one end of the cut section until it meets the other, then unite the parts back together. This takes more steps, but is sometimes more straight-forward if the geometry in the middle is more complicated than a simple pipe.

move_middle.JPG

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all your help. Really appreciated everything and learned a lot. I will try Peter's suggestions. Actually I realized that one of the short quickstep tutorials (available when you open Modeling Express) casually touches on this issue and seems to point in the same direction. One overlooks these things easily if one is not looking for something specific, I guess.

Patric

Top Tags