cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Pro/E, ANSYS & Windchill all rolled into one... (help)

jbailey
17-Peridot

Pro/E, ANSYS & Windchill all rolled into one... (help)

Have an engineer that is using Windchill to manage his design files. He's got ANSYS connected to Creo Elements Pro. When he sends the file to ANSYS it puts two pipes " | | " in front of the name and won't load it. I am guessing this has something to do with how ANSYS reads the file name or how Windchill shows it.

Any suggestions folks? (By the way, the suggestion "Don't use Windchill" will be ignored...

Jim

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
ChrisKaswer
15-Moonstone
(To:jbailey)

When you are working in the PDMLink environment and pass geometry to ANSYS, it will then need to be "connected" to Windchill to load the files from that point on (unless you tell ANSYS to replace the files from another source). This means you need to have Pro/E running and have a PDMLink server "active". For this reason, I sometimes will save a file set of the Pro/E data I need to a local directory and push it to ANSYS from there, running Pro/E "offline". This way ANSYS can always find the files. Of course, when you do this, you loose the functionality of PDMLink - i.e., you may not have access to the latest CAD data.

One caveat - there is a version of ANSYS that does not play nice with Windchill - I think it is version 12.1. I do know that v13 and v14 work with PDMLink and transfer files clean from Pro/E to ANSYS.

Hope this helps out,

Chris

DanielO
5-Regular Member
(To:jbailey)

I also got an user inquiring if he can get the geometry directly from Windchill PDMLink. He makes no changes to the files but only run an analysis over minor changes to the cad data from other desing teams. It adds no value having to open Creo to get the data without changing anything there.

Do any of you know if there are any plans to provide a "Workgroup Manager" for Ansys products? at the end they have a partnership with PTC.

Top Tags