cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

3D facilities planning

egifford
4-Participant

3D facilities planning

For years we’ve done our facilities layouts (assembly areas, machining departments, even office layouts) as a simple plan view using a legacy 2D CAD system (Softech’s Cadra). It’s proven effective and we’ve established our own library of symbols to represent various machines, test cells, benches and furniture. We now have a request to be able to provide better visualization of proposed layouts for new or revised facilities. In essence, management wants to be able to see 3D renderings and do basic walk-throughs before anything is physically built or moved. Although Pro/E (soon Creo 2 Parametric) is our primary 3D CAD system, I’m recommending we look at Autodesk Factory Design Suite. Our internal design work for test cells, assembly stations and so forth is done in Pro/E, but I’m thinking that doesn’t translate to meaning Pro/E is necessarily the best tool for plant layouts. Autodesk FDS claims to directly open Pro/E models as a light weight representation, has an extensive library of assets, good visualization tools, and roots in architectural work (e.g. what a firm might use to design a new building for us). What are your thoughts? What are others using for this purpose?

thanks

Erik

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

I would try them out. Give them some Pro parts and let them "win" you business with there sales pitch.

I have done several architectural layouts using pro/e including industrial space and addtions to houses. It worked fine, of course you must remember to focus on the forest and not the edges of the leaves. Another consideration is google's "sketch up". I played with this software a couple years ago (before google purchased it) and it was a decent tool back then.

Top Tags