cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

4 Axis Surface Milling in WF4

rhess
1-Newbie

4 Axis Surface Milling in WF4

I am surface milling a helical flute using 4 axis and the only options for tool paths are type_1, which is back and forth (conventional and climb milling) and then there is an option for type_one_direction which starts at the front and mills back the flute, retracts and starts at the front again for the next path. Does anyone know if you can stay in the cut conventional milling, almost like a race track moving from the outside of the cut in? Is there a mold milling package or any other package that could do this if the surface milling cannot?

Thanks,

Rich

4 REPLIES 4

Rich,

I use surface mill for 4 axis all the time, what license do you have?

Thanks,

Brian Yoder
P: 651.633.4200 x2058 F: 651.633.5486
E: brian.yoder@donatelle.net<">mailto:brian.yoder@donatelle.net>

Richard:
You can do this with Surface Mill and Closed Cut Type. You have to setup the outer loop and then inner loop. Then you have options like Helical Spiral that will gradually step around and progressively inward using a helical pattern. Those functions don't show up until you setup the cut type as Closed Cut Type.
Randy Kopf

Richard,

If you would like some help seeing how this can be done drop me a line and
we can Web Conference.

--
Kelsey Heikoop
Pro CNC Inc.
(360) 746-2728
Kelsey@ProCNC.com

Richard,

This is a piece of cake. Create a mill surface, put small hole in middle of surface, Create 4-axis surface milling sequence, using cutline, closed loops, use little hole edge as inner loop and outside perimeter edge as outer loop, then spiral or helical from outer to inner or inner to outer.

Kent Hanson, Post-Pro, 269-663-5515

Top Tags