cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Adding a coating to a model

Rowhouse
2-Guest

Adding a coating to a model

Hello,

I am designing a part. It will get machined by a machine shop. It will then get coated to a certain thickness (say, 0.002"), then put into a larger assembly of other parts.

Is there a way that Creo can mimic this, and increase the thickness of every wall or surface by some static amount (not percentage)? I've seen a few semi-related posts, but nothing quite like this. Scaling is not the answer, since it would change the absolute dimensions of some features relative to each other. (Scaling would only really work for a simple, closed surface). Shrinkwrap is not the answer, because it wraps over small features that are integral to the part.The "thicken" option is greyed out and I cannot select it. "Shell" only seems to be interested in removing material, not adding it.

I feel that I'm missing an easy solutions somewhere. Can any of you help me out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think the "Offset" function will work for you.  It is in the model tab, in the Editing group.

You can offset all the surfaces of your part:

1) switch the filter (bottom right pull-down) to "Geometry"

2) click on one of the surfaces

3) right-click and select "Solid Surfaces"

4) Activate the offset tool

5) Right click in the graphics area and select the "expand" option.

6) specify how much to grow (or shrink) your part...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I think the "Offset" function will work for you.  It is in the model tab, in the Editing group.

You can offset all the surfaces of your part:

1) switch the filter (bottom right pull-down) to "Geometry"

2) click on one of the surfaces

3) right-click and select "Solid Surfaces"

4) Activate the offset tool

5) Right click in the graphics area and select the "expand" option.

6) specify how much to grow (or shrink) your part...

Thank you for the quick and accurate response, this is exactly what I'm looking for!

If I type "coating" in the search bar at the top of this page, I get a few "hits", one of which is this:

Multiple Materials Discussion

Top Tags