cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

CAD Model Security Markings

wbowling
3-Visitor

CAD Model Security Markings

Esteemed Colleagues,

Other than digital rights management (DRM), what are other techniques employed to ensure that end-users of CAD data know that the model(s) being read by Creo Parametric are ITAR, EAR, and/or proprietary restricted?

Ideally, I would like to see a model being opened by Creo display a banner that includes some sort of response mechanism, such as a dialog with ‘OK’ button, which must be acknowledged before the model is opened. This would have to be independent of local configuration options as one cannot expect external organizations to be configured the same as the local organization.

W.C. (Bill) Bowling
Fellow - Engineering Design Process Development
Aerojet Rocketdyne
Mechanical Design (MS: FB24)
VOICE: 818-586-0310
CELL:805-501-4875

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Thanks very much for the responses.

Replies from Robert Reifsnyder, David Haigh, and Neal Rosenblum were diverse and informative. Robert suggested creating curve text, associating it with a standard layer, and having it display when models are loaded. David noted that there are security labels in Windchill that could be implemented. Neal thought that storing models in a ZIP file and taking advantage of capabilities provided by ZIP security protocols would do the trick.

PTC Technical Support informed that there is no such capability in Creo Parametric other than displaying the status of a model with flat-to-screen annotation.

Approaches we have tried in the past were to set the configuration so that layer display set in an assembly pushes down to part models if the assembly is loaded first. The default on the part model layer was set to display the security banner but the assembly, if loaded first, would turn part model layers off. That was an attempt at getting rid of the furball effect that shows all the text in all the models at once. There is also an assembly security layer that defaults to being visible and that’s where assembly security annotation is put.

Unfortunately, this is dependent on configuration settings and does not behave the same at all installations. Furthermore, while the masking of part model layers with assembly layer settings works fine if there is only one assembly, multiple assemblies put you right back to the furball issue.

If anything comes up and I figure this out I’ll let you know.

W.C. (Bill) Bowling
Fellow - Engineering Design Process Development
Aerojet Rocketdyne
Mechanical Design (MS: FB24)

Pardon my ignorance, for I have no exact knowledge about ITAR demands
and all that, but it sounds to me like you are searching a technical
solution for a non-technical problem.

Surely your employees know about the sensitive nature of your models.
So I assume you want to warn suppliers and/or customers.
But why not just send them a document stating that since some models
are bound to ITAR, they need to treat all your models confidentially,
unless given approval to do otherwise?

In my opinion, it is much better to generate "general awareness" and
put responsibility out there where it belongs, rather than trying to
generate in-your-face-warning messages that only serve to annoy 99% of
the users who already know what they are doing, and are probably ignored
anyway by the remaining 1% who dont give a flying bleep.

That is just my €0,01

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Top Tags