cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Can ProE view other cad tool files? SolidWorks?

eoswalt
1-Newbie

Can ProE view other cad tool files? SolidWorks?

I downloaded ProE CREO to use as a viewer of CAD files. The intent is to review the design, but not make any changes. The most likely feature is to measure parts and clearances in the design.

The designer of the drawing saved the project in  ProE/CREO format.

However, selecting a drawing file (*.asm) does not result in a diagram. The work space is still empty. I also note that there are many files with a "*.asm.1" extension.

I don't see any tool like "import" or "open project". The File->Open allows me to select files, but the work space is always blank.

Did I misread the ProE/CEO capability? I was supposed to open and display *.asm files.

Ed.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:eoswalt)

Which application and version created the file to begin with and what version are you using?

Some applications claim to create Creo compatible files, but they don't function correctly.

Ed,

info for you ... Creo Parametric 3.0 (which is able to open Solidworks, Catia, NX files and import Inventor, Solid Edge files) is not available free of charge for commercial purposes. Only Students of high schools and universities are allowed to use it for free. Also anyone can download Creo Parametric 3.0 trial for free, but it runs only 30 days.

I guess that you downloaded PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 6.0. Unfortunatelly this product is not able to open foreign CAD data (this is my guess).

MH

Martin Hanák
Top Tags