cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Contact Analysis of Interference Fit

BenCohen
1-Newbie

Contact Analysis of Interference Fit

Hi, I'm working on a relativily simple model of an Acetal Bushing that is pressed into an aluminum bore. I'd like to determine the stress distribution on the contacting surface of the Acetal bushing after installation. I have created a simplified model of a .751" OD (.500 ID) bushing and an aluminum bore of .750. I define the contact surfaces as the OD of the Acetal and the ID of the Aluminum. I add a global thermal stress of 0 and constrain the ID surface of the bushing in all directions. When I run a quick check I recieve a failed convergance error and I can't figure out why. Any suggestions? I can probably get a screenshot of the setup tomorow if that helps...

Thanks,

-Ben

2 REPLIES 2

Hi, I'm working on a relativily simple model of an Acetal Bushing that is pressed into an aluminum bore.

Are you running a 2D or 3D model?

I add a global thermal stress of 0 and constrain the ID surface of the bushing in all directions.

I can't say definitely without looking at your model, but I'm fairly sure that this constraint isn't realistic; the net result of it will be higher stresses. When you press the bushing into the bore, the ID of the bushing will shrink; your constraint prevents this.

Also, what do you mean by the global thermal stress of 0? Did you add a global thermal load? If so, why?

When I run a quick check I recieve a failed convergance error and I can't figure out why

Yes, because Quick Check does not do a convergence study. A Quick Check runs solves the model with p-order of 3 for all elements and then reports the values; since the p-order hasn't been escalated and the model resolved, there is no way to check convergence.

hai friend, you must check your contat surfaces.. if you want do to contact analysis you must enable in contact in model setup in creo simulate interface... then click refine model option... then click interface button .. one dialoge box will appear then u select CONTACT in drop down button.... then select faces of alumium bore and

Acetal Bushing... then repeat this same but select this time aluminium bore inner surface and select Acetal Bushing outer surface...totally you do two different contact interfaces.... then you run static analysis normally.... if any difficulties post me...

Top Tags