cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Corrugated Coil Models

StephenPatton
2-Guest

Corrugated Coil Models

Hi All,

I am trying to design a helical corrugated coil which has two windings, an inner and outer.

Doing this in plain pipe is simple but I cannot get the corrugated part sorted, tried a few things but no luck.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Stephen

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

What do you mean by "corrugated coil"; I don't understand what you are trying to model.

Imagine a helical pipe (similar to used in the heating industry) but the product is made from a flexible pipe. The corrugations allow to pipe to flex. Similar to a stainless steel shower flexible pipe only wound like a spring.

I am finding it difficult to incorporate the corrugations along the length of the helix.

Any suggestions please let me know.

Stephen,

Something like this?

corrugated-pipe.jpg

This was created with 3 features, a helical Datum Curve created using Equations, and 2 Variable Section Sweeps. The first VSS is just a spiraling flat ribbon around the main helix. The second VSS uses the outside edge of that doubly twisted ribbon as a trajectory for the corrugation profile. If this is what you are looking for, I can give you more detail as necessary.

Good luck!

David

David thank you for the help.

You've sent me in the right direction now.

Cheers

Hi,

This is using the same principle as what Davidi did, but in a different way.

I have attached the part for your ref. You can control the model by varying the parameters.

Any question on the model, pls feel free to ask.

Regards

Joe

corrugated_pipe.jpg

I built this model by making a 2" helical protrusion then cut it into section with an axis patterned cut. Then made another 1.75" diameter helical protrusion through the sections of the previous protrusion. The rounds were sort of tedious so I only made a few rounds to get an idea how it would look.

Top Tags