cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creat more than one family table for one part

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine

Creat more than one family table for one part

Hello,

I would like to have  a part, where I need to control some features with one family table, and another features with other design table. This part is a complex one, where those features, that I need to be controlled by family tables, aren't dependent between them.

So my question is:

Is it possible to have more than one family table for each part? If yes how to do it?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

No, there is no way to have multiple family tables in one part.  You can create nested family tables, where an instance has its own family table.  This gets cumbersome to manage pretty quickly, though.

I'd just put all the features that you want to control in one family table and turn them on or off as needed for each instance.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
RoyCrerar
14-Alexandrite
(To:CAD_user)

Hi, Without knowing what you are trying to do it is difficult to provide a definitive answer. However that being said you can have different configurations of parts controlled by nested tables.

Perhaps if we look at fasteners as an example this might become clear to you. Fasteners (Screws) are essentially very similar. They have a head configuration and a shaft configuration. You could make a Family Table of the head configuration where you choose the head style.

For the head level you would really be looking at some type of grouped features for hex-hd and Cap-hd etc that you switch off and on.

Then in the nested table the shaft sizes (Diameter and length are decided). These configurations would be done for each head type.

Hope this helps

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:CAD_user)

One work around for creating multiple family tables for a single part would be to create two new parts each with an external inheritance feature of the original part.  In the first new part, you can select all the variable items specific to that models variations, and in the second new part, you select all the other variable items specific to that models variations.  You can then create a family table for each new part.  The original part model can be considered the "master" model (similar to a generic model).  This method will allow you to modify the two new parts independently of each other which can make the data management of the models a little easier.

Regards,

Dan N.

Top Tags