cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Creo Analysis Capabilities?

ptc-5993188
1-Newbie

Creo Analysis Capabilities?

Hi,

Does anyone have a list (or better yet know where PTC has a published list) of Creo Parametric 2.0's analysis features and if possible their capabilities within the design process? Particually those geometrically based tools but a complete list would be even better.

Thank you!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the forum Peter. Here's a list I've compiled quickly using the Creo interface and help. Keep in mind that the types of analyses that are available depend on your context and license(s). I added descriptions to the types that I think you are interested in.

Geometry Analyses (curves and surfaces)

• Dihedral Angle—Displays the angle between the normals of two surfaces that share an edge. This is an useful check for continuity during the evaluation of neighboring surfaces.
  • Point—Evaluates a normal curvature vector at a datum point or a specified point on the surface. Analyzes and reports the curvature, normal, tangent, dihedral edge point, and radius at the selected point on the curve or edge. You can also specify a coordinate system.
  • Radius—Displays the minimum radii for a surface. The radius is equal to 1/curvature.
  • Curvature—Evaluates and displays the curvature of surface. Mathematically, the curvature is equal to 1/radius.
  • Offset—Displays an offset for a selected set of surfaces.
  • Deviation—Displays the deviation from a surface or datum plane to a datum point, curve, or datum point array to which you want to measure the deviation.
  • Sections—Evaluates surface continuity, especially across shared boundaries.
  • Shaded Curvature—Evaluates and displays the smallest and largest normal curvature for every point on a surface. Color values are assigned in ranges to show curvature. Values towards the red and blue ends of the spectrum indicate maximum and minimum curvatures, respectively.
  • Draft—Analyzes a part design to determine if a draft is necessary for the part to be used in a mold. Displays a color plot of the draft.
  • Slope—Displays, in color, the slope of a surface relative to a reference plane, coordinate system, curve, edge, or datum axis on a part.
  • Reflection—Displays curves that represent the reflection due to linear sources of light on a surface when viewed from the specified direction. The reflection analysis is a shaded analysis. To view changes in the reflection, spin the model and observe the dynamic changes in the display.
  • Shadow—Displays a color plot of the shadow area cast by a surface or model on another surface with reference to a datum plane, coordinate system, curve, edge, or axis.

Measures (dimensions, mass, volume, etc.)

• Summary Measures all the relevant dimension types based on one or more reference entity selection. You can also use this tool to measure the dimensions of curved 3D geometric objects such as a cone, torus, or a sphere.
  • Length Measures the total length of two or more reference entities. The reference entities can be curves, edges, or a chain of curves or edges. The selected entities neither need to be connected nor they need to be of the same entity type.
  • Distance Measures the distance between two reference entities. For each entity, you can select one option such as Use as Line to use the entity differently. You can also measure the maximum distance, the distance from a point on each entity that is the greatest distance away from a point on the other entity.
  • Angle Measures the angle between two linear reference entities. You cannot measure the angle between more than two entities.
  • Diameter Measures the diameter of a cylindrical or a conical surface. When you measure diameter, the radius is also shown.
  • Area Measures the area of a surface, part, or a quilt. If you select two or more reference entities for measurement, the total area for all the entities is reported. The selected entities need not be connected and they also need not be of the same entity type.
  • Volume Measures the volume of a model or a closed quilt. You can also measure the volume of a model on one side of a designated plane.
  • Transform Generates a file containing the values of the transformational matrix between two coordinate systems on a specified part.
  • Measure Mass Properties Provides information on the mass properties for an entire part model or an assembly component.

Other Tools

• Geometry Report
  • Global Interference
  • Tolerance Analysis
  • Sensitivity Analysis
  • Feasibility Optimization
  • Statistical Design Study
  • Mesh Surface
  • Compare Part/Assembly
  • Model Size

Sketcher Analyses

• Overlappting geometry
  • Open Ends
  • Shade Closed Loops
  • Intersection Point
  • Tangency Point
  • Entity

Manikin

• Vision Window
  • Vision Cones
  • Center of Gravity
  • RULA Analysis
  • Comfort Angle Analysis
  • Lifting of Lowering Analysis
  • Carrying Analysis
  • Pushing or Pulling Analysis

Mechanism

• Mechanism Analysis
  • Measures

Simulate (high level list)

• Static
  • Modal
  • Buckling
  • Fatigue
  • Prestress
    • Static
    • Modal
  • Dynamic
    • Time
    • Frequency
    • Shock
    • Random
  • Standard Design Study
  • Sensitivity Design Study
  • Optimization Design Study

Other analyses that aren't available to me at the moment include mold and plastic analyses. Perhaps others can chime in on any that I've missed.

Thank you so much Eric! That was a fantastic help!

hello,

I come back a little on a subject already discussed, but in Creo 3, measures the characteristics of a piece is it possible now to finally see the center of gravity of this piece.

Of course, with each change of the piece it will recalculate and position of the center of gravity.

Kind regards.

Denis.

Under "Measure", you list the following as an analysis feature:

"Transform Generates a file containing the values of the transformational matrix between two coordinate systems on a specified part."

Is it possible to use this same idea on the assembly level? What I'm trying to do is eventually create a parameter in every part in the assmebly that contains the coordinate transform data from the locational csys of that component to the master csys of the assembly. In order to do this, I'm assuming I'll need some sort of csys transform analysis feature that calculates that distance automatically, but I'm not sure if this sort of feature is possible.

Each component's locational coordinate system is already referenced to the assembly master csys, so all I need to do is automate the calculation...in essence use the csys transform measurement as a parameter so that if the component ever moves location, the parameter will update automatically with the new XYZ dimenional values.

Any help on whether this is possible and if so how to accomplish it would be fantastic.

Jeremy,

this is a little bit off-topic, as its a specific use case, when the original topic was about a list of capabilities.

Anyway, I understand you already have a csys in each component, which represents the assembly csys.

Unfortunately it seems transform analysis cannot be saved as feature, which is required to have it update automatically in your model.

But as a workaround you can measure distance from the reference csys, using ref csys also as projection reference.

This will generate measures for the X, Y and Z offset of any point you select and the distance analysis can be saved as a feature (Make Feature).

If you create a point in the origin of the "location csys", you will get parameters for the translation between the two csys.

For the rotational transformation you will need a more sophisticated trick, for example:

1. Create a csys with the same origin as the reference csys and the orientation of the locational csys (specify the axis orientation based on the other csys axes)
  2. Create points offset from the new csys at coordinates (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1)
  3. Measure distances of the points to the reference csys - this should be equivalent to the axis transformation values

(I may have mixed up the from and to csys in my description, but the basic principle works - I used it only a couple of days ago for a slightly different use case)

Regards,

Gunter

Top Tags