cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Creo4 performance/hardware choices?

danb
4-Participant

Creo4 performance/hardware choices?

We are looking to move to creo4 how are people finding the performance?

I am looking at upgrading hardware here for the team and want to make the right choice, if anyone can comment its appreciated.

I have a user here with a dell 5510, 16GB ram, Nvidia M100M who has been using creo4 F000.

There seems to be some hang/delay when redefining part features we don't normally experience this in creo3, does anyone else notice this it is quite annoying in workflow?

I know creo 4 is on F000, when the first maintenance release happens the intention is to move the team to creo4.

We have a few users on dell m3600 16GB nvidia k1100m running creo3 its mainly concept/industrial design type work though we do frequently deal with large complex parts and assembly(we have parts up to and occasionally over 500mb). Opening/manipulating assemblies or even part files can be slow/painful. FYI also use keyshot/rhino/modo etc

Upgrading i was looking at dell5520 or 7520, next gen 2/4gb gfx and at least 32MB ram, i am hoping the memory increase will help improve overall performance, we have to be fairly mobile so workstation isn't really an option and we aren't bodybuilders to be carrying around a 7720.

Obviously laptops are immediately limited on heat/power compared to a workstation, i would like to hear others opinion on hardware choices and creo.

Thanks and regards! Daniel

5 REPLIES 5

I don't have experience of Creo 4 specifically, but in general Creo needs good single-thread CPU performance.

This is one benchmark site that I use, and from a few tests seems to correlate quite well with regeneration speed in Creo (other benchmarks exist and may give different results, though this one has the advantage of listing most CPUs):

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance

Basically, you want a CPU as high up this list as possible.

Personally I've found the video card to be less critical in general modelling than the CPU; and memory is very much down to the size of model / assembly that you're working with - the best thing there is to watch the memory usage of xtop.exe in Task Manager with a typical large model open (remembering that you want to leave Windows a decent amount spare for overhead, caching and other applications).

Hi,

which hardware have you ordered?

Are there any performance differences regarding L3/L2 Cache size? Xeon has higher Caches, i7 faster cores. Is i7 still better?

Spec has Creo 3.0 benchmarks, but the data is very little. Vendors like to sell their Xeons ^^ 

http://www.spec.org/gwpg/apc.data/specapc_creo30_summary.html

anybody has tried PCIe SSD or different RAM Types?

yes, GPU is less important except for rendered vs wireframe drawings.

br Bernhard

Hello all,

I am using CREO 4.0 for modelling some large assemblies. I'm having 24gb RAM and NVIDIA quadro FX 3700 graphic card. However, My creo is very slow ( Even if i change to drawing  window, its gonna take atleast 2 min). Please help me out from this.

bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:karthik3)

Hi,

what is "large". Free RAM left?

Which CPU?

Creo needs a high single Core performance. A quadcore with 200Mhz more is better than a octacore with 200Mhz less per Core. Get some i7.

GPU is only the bottleneck if you rotate a view and it lags. But the FX3700 is quite old. you can get better (quadro) cards cheap.

here are some benchmarks Creo benchmark:

http://www.proesite.com/

br Bernhard

Top Tags