cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Finding single-sided edges preventing a Solidify

RichardWylie
1-Newbie

Finding single-sided edges preventing a Solidify

Anyone have any tips for finding the single sided edges of a merged surface which are preventing a Solidify? I have the upper and lower surfaces of a water jacket which ideally are supposed to merge and solidify so I can use it as a cut from the stock cylinder head. The surfaces merge but Solidify isn't available when you select the merged surface. It looks like there are multiple tiny single-sided edges but I can't find a way of identifying them all.

9 REPLIES 9

Hello,

Have you tried playing around with the system colors? If you go into VIEW>DISPLAY SETTINGS>SYSTEM COLORS and then on the Geometry tab change the quilt edge color (either the outer or inner) to something different than purple you should be able to see any open areas in the surface. I usually go with yellow as it is a good contrast to the purple.

-Greg

Cheers Greg, it's the really small edges I'm looking for that you can only see when zoomed in close but the colour change tip is useful for the bigger ones.

Thanks,

Richard.

jkolb
4-Participant
(To:RichardWylie)

Does upping the accuracy help? Many times I've had problems like that magically go away by bumping the accuracy from 0.0012 to 0.0008 or 0.0006.

But I've never tried hunting down the specific edges - I wouldn't know what to do if I found them!

I don't know if this will help but.....

many times, when I run into that situation, I go back and modify the surfaces that are to be merged so that they actually intersect each other as opposed to making the edges line up before merging (assuming that's what you've done).

Or, I might to the exact opposite. If I've designed them such that the surfaces are intersecting and, after merging, I'm left with gaps, I'll go back a design the surfaces so that edges line up before I merge.

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Best regards,

Troy Mason

http://impulseproductdevelopment.com

gimhof
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardWylie)

Hi,

the easiest way to find single sided edges is using the search tool. Adjust the following settings.

search_tool.png

You will find the smalles edge or hole with a red dot.

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

You forgot to add the settings...

Thanks,

Willian

jhicke
3-Visitor
(To:gimhof)

Thank you for mentioning this option.  I wasn't able to see your image but I was able to poke through the menus and figure it out.  I've attached my own screenshot in case anyone else has the same issue.

One-sided edge.jpg

I had a similar problem and used import data doctor on the piece giving the one sided error.  It worked in my case.  I just selected the piece, hit activate, then repair, then deactivate, then ok.  After that solidify worked.  This is for a surface I imported into a part.  I was using the imported surface to make a rabbet for a bonded in window in a  solidified part that is a hull on  a catamaran. 

tauerbach_1-1638995764714.png

Data doctor - Geometry Checks

Top Tags