cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

HP has a new workstation designed for "cad users" and list the popular programs??

dbutcher
1-Newbie

HP has a new workstation designed for "cad users" and list the popular programs??

http://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/z2mini?jumpid=ba_metcbv2zqj/dm:_N5823.2093103DBM_144647282_316427198_78265828_4843679

and low and behold..........Creo isn't listed in the top 7. I'm assuming that the ones listed on the front page would be deemed to be the most popular, no?

2 I've never even heard of......is this a sign that PTC is dropping the ball? I'm really liking "some" of the new stuff on 4.0 but there's still work to be done IMHO mostly on importations and especially 2D. I've actually lost a customer because i could not read in Solid Edge files. There was nothing i could do to get these files to read in as a solid and now that data doctor has become unusable (not sure about 4.0 but 3.0 was a freaking disaster for fixing models) i was forced to just bow out of the project. And the files failed for no real reasons, rads, revolved surfaces just turned into nightmare surfaces that turned into weird looking shapes when editing them. Even deleting and using the edges of surfaces to create surface blends was insane. The one file that did come in as a solid i couldn't cut a section in the the 2D. Contrary to what PTC is doing, and I'm not sure why, 2D WILL NEVER DIE.

Anyway i just thought it was odd that Creo wasn't on the front page.....I'm sure it's in the list of 20......

6 REPLIES 6
scooke
4-Participant
(To:dbutcher)

I see that Catia and Unigraphics also were not in the top 7 so I don't think this is an indication that serious CAD platforms are in decline.

Much more interested in your comments about import data doctor in Creo 3. Since we are about to move from Creo 2 to Creo 3. Was this working on Solid Edge files opened in native format or a neutral file format like IGES or STEP?

Best regards

Steve

Steve,

it didn't matter what the files were. I tried everything that 3.0 could import. I even updated to build m110 so that i could read in the native solid edge files (anything before that build will not). they were a mess.

And all along the way i kept hearing "solid-works has no problem with these files". As a matter of fact i read the files into an old 2004 version of solid-works and the models were perfect, I then exported them from that as pro-e models. That was the ONLY way I could get solid models...but only for one of the models consistently....the one that still would not cut a section in 2D..........think about that for a second.....solid-works made better PTC models than PTC could.

And in my industry (mold making) 100% of the shops use solid-works.....I never ever ever receive a PTC file. I had to do some soul searching to figure out if i should just switch but I've been with PTC since 1998 and have 1000's of models in my library. I hadn't been current since 2001 so i took the chance and stuck with PTC with their welcome back program since my maintenance had expired years ago.

I'd say just upgrade to 4 point zero it's a much better interface that has better customization. I still love the software so I'm not bashing the product but have been told "you bought the wrong software" a couple of times and then i see this ad where Creo isn't even considered.......and never mind that when i had to make this decision (1997) solid-works couldn't cut a section in assembly mode.

I guess the point is that PTC must make sure that we can get a solid, cut a section of that solid no matter where the model originates.....can we really call this "high end" when it can't do what the "low end" can?

also, when i watched the video for 4.0 the "topic" was eliminating 2D and that is just nonsense talking. That was PTC "selling point" 20 years ago (which i questioned then), here we are 2 decades later and 2D is as important as ever.....at least in my world.

sorry for the long disjointed rant.

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine

More than likely what you are seeing when Soldworks opens Solidedge files is because they are both Parasolid based geometry cores so the "math" adds up the same leading to cleaner geometry conversions. Creo is based on PTC's own "Granite" core that they tried to market several years ago as Parasolid, and to a lesser extent ACIS, have done.

BTW, I personally agree about the huge push the eliminating 2D. My take has always been, what can you eliminate by eliminating 2D? You still have to communicate the SAME information so the question becomes what is the MOST efficient way to do that. Obviously for geometry the model is best, but for many other things the drawing is STILL best. Might the come a day when that is not true? Sure, and it is probably sooner rather than later, but for now and at least the next decade drawings will play an important role in what we do.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I agree with Steve. It's listing the midrange solids programs and the 2d stuff.

Also, I customized one, it only gave me the option of 32gb of RAM. We are getting seriously close to that point on my product and we get to leave out a lot of stuff. They probably work great for the mid-range cad solutions but they look to me like they aren't really targeting the high end software.

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

I see a big Z on top of it - anybody remember Integraph... Good times...

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Maybe PTC forgot to pay their advertising bill to HP recently?

Someone will have one real soon though to tell us about it, I am guessing. Someone from a company that IT controls what they do will buy some of these up based on price.

Top Tags