cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How to Extrude Wrapped Text

ptc-5737990
1-Newbie

How to Extrude Wrapped Text

I have read MANY articles/posts and watched many video's on this topic and I am still not able to figure it out (which is sad).

I have some text which is wrapped around a cylinder more than 180 degree's (see image below).

I have read that I need to create an offset surface and project my text onto this offset surface...the problem is that the text wraps around the entire cylinder. I can NOT project all the wrapped text on an offset sketch plane (does this make sense?).

Here is a very boiled down image of what I would like to wrap/extrude:

36 REPLIES 36

designated_area_2.PNG

A very quick "wavy" banner.

Sketch 1 is a text sketch

Designated Area 1 is the flat filled surface

Sketch 3 is a spline sketch using perimeter control

The Spinal Bend is just that, the Designated Area (quilt) projected onto Sketch 3.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

If it's projected, instead of wrapped, won't that distort (lengthen or shorten) the letters along the length?

I'm going to try and play with this today, thanks!

Ok, just for fun......

WRAP_TEXT_TEST-02.jpg

...really twisted indeed

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

....and that's just the text!

Thank you Frank and Antonius!

I just got back into work this morning and it looks like I have a lot of 'options' to try out....thank you very much.

I have seen both of your names in a LOT of other posts and you guys are very helpful individuals....thank you!!

-Kevin

You're very welcome! There are a couple things PTC could do to make this WAY easier, hopefully they will.

Top Tags