cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Is mold/cast good for forging design?

jzhang-3
3-Visitor

Is mold/cast good for forging design?

I wonder if it is possible to use mold/cast to design forging. thanks,

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:jzhang-3)

The basic idea of creating negative forms from design parts will surely apply to forge parts as well.

Also the tools and analysis regarding ejection would be usable from Moldesign/casting.

But there is no additional functionality apart from the shrinkage (to cover for size reduction during cooling), that would approximate forge typical processes (I am thinking of considering forces that need to be applied or spring back effects for the forging).

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:jzhang-3)

Our company also is beginning to use Creo for Forge die design.

It is a little perplexing to know whether Mold or Casting would be more applicable to designing a forge die. I have been using Casting even though there are several features within the package not needed for Forging.

It is challenging to build a forging die in Creo. Our dies have multiple impressions, multiple locks that vary from side to side. We need transitions for gutters, flash, and die strike face. I'm trying to get my legs with making dies in Creo but right now it isn't as easy to work with as our prior CAD system. There is room for learning on our part but we are hoping that Creo will design tools to make Forge die developement easier.

Top Tags