cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Is there a way to reduce arc faceting in sketch

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Is there a way to reduce arc faceting in sketch

I need to match edges of customer geometry to my sketches.

The primary shape used in the customer sketch is a spine but it equates out to an arc.

When I try to match the spine with my sketched arc I am finding awful faceting.  Nothing matches up within the sketch.

faceting.JPG

Each facet is 3/8 of an inch.

Is there any way to tighten of these facets to where they become smooth?

I have my surface quality set at Very High.

My accuracy is .0004 Absolute.

8 REPLIES 8
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:pimm)

Set your edge_display_quality to very_high, too.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:KenFarley)

Ken,

I do already have the edge_display_quality set to very_high

I shouldn't have said "surface quality" above.  I should have stated edge_display_quality

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Some radii display well while large radii cannot be smoothed reliably.  Highlighting, on the other hand, does show a smooth arc.

This would be a great enhancement in that it also makes selection easier in sketches.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

You are correct that the radii does hilight proper but when it is placed the facets appear.

I've also noticed that if you aren't rotated in the sketch the facets aren't there.

It would be nice to at least have an option to smooth the faceting.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

It appears PTC tried to fix something in this regard in sketch mode.  I have noticed that viewing sketches directly  and zooming into an area does clean up the display temporarily as does dividing arcs.  PTC could tap into the Levels of Detail (LOD) for this as part of the graphics interface, but don't hold your breath for implementation.

Sketch geometry is used as input to a conversion to produce model geometry - there's a different display engine for the two modes. I expect this is for performance reasons. One can see the difference where circles are converted to two arcs.

I find that importing curves as IGES into datum curves is more pleasing.

It would not be a useful idea to tighten the facets. That just adds overhead without changing any downstream calculations.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:dschenken)

In the CAD software that we have dropped (ZW) they didn't have any trouble with displaying arcs in sketches as a true arc.  It didn't slow anything down that we could observe.

I don't see why this wouldn't be achievable.  If changing this would cause slow down on slower PC's make it as a setting that could be turned on or off.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Ah. Then I don't know what to tell you. I have had similar problems, especially when "zoomed in". Using the analysis tools for arcs isn't so great, either. Hopefully Antonius' suggestion about highlighting will help, unless the spline you are trying to match suffers from the same problem.

Top Tags