cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Is there a way to use inches in a metric design?

hschmitz
1-Newbie

Is there a way to use inches in a metric design?

I've set my creo standards to metric, but in some occasions I need to use inches in the same drawing too. Is there any way I can specify that I want to use inches instead of millimeters when I define a measurement?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PTC has been pretty heavy handed with this one.

The only way I can see is to make a parameter (relation) converting your dimension to inch and presenting the parameter instead.

You could overwrite a dimension this way if you wanted.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

I guess the only functionality available is using dual dimensioning. Search help.ptc.com to get more information.

MH

Martin Hanák

PTC has been pretty heavy handed with this one.

The only way I can see is to make a parameter (relation) converting your dimension to inch and presenting the parameter instead.

You could overwrite a dimension this way if you wanted.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe ANSI and ISO standards dictate that you cannot have a drawing showing some dimensions in inches and others in metric.  It's either one or the other... unless you're using dual dimensioning.

Bob Schwerdlin

Bob,

It's a good thing you are not a betting man....

ASME Y14.5 - 2009 section 1.5.4

ASME Y14.5 - 1994 section 1.5.3.1 Combination SI (Metric) and US Customary Linear Units

Where some inch dimensions are shown an a millimeter dimensioned drawing, the abbreviation IN shall follow the inch values.  Where some millimeter dimensions are shown in an inch-dimensioned drawing, the symbol mm shall follow the millimeter values.

Section 1.5.3 Identification of linear Units of both specs allow for the dismissal of individual indication by stating with a note "UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, ALL DIMENSIONS ARE IN MILLIMETERS (or IN INCHES, as applicable)

So you need to state it with each dimension or note it for all (then apply exceptions)

ron

Top Tags