cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Modeling an ancient sail ship

BertilRogmark
6-Contributor

Modeling an ancient sail ship

I have a drawing with all the ribs of the ship but only on paper.

Is it possible to import a scanned rib profile as a curve and use it to model a rib?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13

I might suggest you scan the section and place the image on a plane as an underlay. I also suggest making the image bitmap (.bmp) since by default, it is the easiest for Creo to recognize.

I now have a bitmap image of the ribs.

Both of you mentioned placing the image on a plane as an underlay.

But how do I do that?

Sorry, I am a retired sheet metal designer and only have access to Wildfire, not Creo.

Appreciate your effort.

Kind regards

Bertil

This can be done with older version as well. This is one of the legacy functions from "before time began"...

I will suggest you make the image files bitmap files... .bmp. They seem to be recognized more universally by Windows and Pro|E. Long story... short story, make bitmaps.

I am working in Wildfire 3 because of a required compatibility (difficult word) with Intralink.

I believe I have Wildfire 4 somewhere as well.

Note that it stretches the image to fit the item so the base surface needs to be exactly what you want and while it won't bridge the image over holes, it will rescale the image if the outer boundary of the surface is changed - you can't trim the part to fit the image and you can't trim off excess parts of the image by trimming the part.

Get the image to be just as you like it in an image editor like Gimp before it is imported.

Came across this the other day and thought you might like it:
http://vimeo.com/114340526

That kind of work just takes all the wind out of the Creo sails, now doesn't it

Awesome!

Heureka!

It may not have been a great step for mankind but it sure made me happy.

I followed Jacub Foltiks advise and managed to insert a simple bmp-sketch in a drawing.

It turned out that MartinHanak was correct - Irfanview was the culprit and when I changed the registry as suggested I could get my scanned ribdrawing into the drawing.

I have now traced one of the ribs by sketching a spline.

How do I get this spline into a part to be able to extrude a rib?

I saved a copy of the drawing and deleted the scanned bmp to get a "clean" drawing with nothing but my sketched spline and have saved a copy of the drawing in dxf-format but cannot find a way to use this in a part-file.

Hi Bertil,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread as it seems to be an interesting project.

It's a few years since I used Wildfire 3, I'm writing from memory so I'm sorry if it's vague or not quite right, but try this:

1. from the part file, Insert → Shared Data → From File and open the dxf to bring it into the model

2. create a new extrude on the same plane that the sketch has been placed on, and with the Use Edge tool, pick the edges of the imported sketch to create the outline to extrude. So you're not extruding the imported sketch itself, but using it as a reference to create a sketch you can extrude.

I have a suspicion that older versions of Pro/E can't import dxf into 3D models, so if that's the case with Wildfire 3, save the original sketch in IGES format instead and do the same steps as above.

Hope this helps.

That's why it it easier to use it as a decal.

Model->Surface->Decal->use as refererence (image is directly visible for corrections)

Drawing->Image->Trace->Export->Model->Import->use as reference. (image is not available for corrections)

Seems a fair point. I must admit, I can't recall ever having started with a bmp like above, so probably never used the decal function; at least not in this manner. I guess the downside would be you might have to spend time upfront making sure the image is perfect before importing it.

Handy tool though.

Hello all you helpful people!

I have successfully managed the solution using a decal.

I simply created a decal from the original jpeg-file and applied if on a flat surface.

I then created an extrusion by sketching a spline based on the scanned ribdrawing (which was the decal).

Voila!

I can now go on modeling all the ribs and then get the hull finished.

Thank you all for helpful suggestions and tips.

Top Tags