cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Multiple Selections for Surface to ... Round?

akelly
11-Garnet

Multiple Selections for Surface to ... Round?

Using Wildfire 4

You can pick multiple edges for edge rounds and they all have the same
radius (e.g. 4 edges in different locations in the model)

I'm having intermittent regen failures that seem to be more stable if
surface-to-surface rounds are used instead of edge rounds. It appears
that you can't pick multiple surface pairs without creating a new
surface set or creating a new round. Either case, the additional
surface pairs could have different radii unless you control it with
relations. Is there a more elegant solution or is each surface pair
just going to have its own radius?

Andrew Kelly, P.E. | Senior Engineer | Crane Aerospace & Electronics |
+1 440 326 5555 | F: +1 440 284 1090

3 REPLIES 3
DeanLong
10-Marble
(To:akelly)

Andrew,

I believe the only option you haveremainingforindependent Surf-Surf rounds is to use "complete as surfaces" and then "edit solidify" unless you want to build unique surface transitions between independentround features. With the former methodyou still have multiple sets (radii or conic, different values etc...)within the round feature, but as you stated your regen is more stable with Surf-Surf.

Hope is helps.

Dean

akelly
11-Garnet

Actually that wasn't the question. The radius of the round feature applies to the set.

Using edge rounds, you aren't restricted to the number of edges included in a set. So if you have 10 edges in a set, you can change the value of the round radius and the fillet radius of all 10 edges is updated.

Using surface-to-surface rounds, you can't use more than 2 surfaces / set. In the same scenario above, you have to create 10 round features or 10 sets in the round feature. Either way, if you want to change the fillet radius, you have to change 10 dimensions.

So, is there another way in WF4(besides relations) to use surface-to-surface rounds to get 1 dimension to control multiple fillet radii?

DeanLong
10-Marble

Andrew,

Sorry...misunderstood your intent.

The only way I know you can do that geometrically (without relations) is this:

1. Create a sketched entity that has "equal" value constraints on the fillet radii. (I.E. one dimension)

2. Create your round using Surf to Surf option and use "Reference" instead of "Value" for the round dimension.

3. Tag each of your rounds to the reference vertice of the prior sketch.

4. Now the single radius value that is in the sketch will drive the all the rounds that come after it in the tree.

If your geometry is more complicated that a box then a little imagination may be in order. But the method is sound.

Hope it helps.

Dean

Top Tags