cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Problem with filling an open space of a surface

Rolfmeister
1-Newbie

Problem with filling an open space of a surface

Hello!

Me and my friend are currently working on a CAD file that we need to prepare for a future project. We have ended up with a surface that we need to stitch together but the shape is quite complex, something like the attached picture shows. The corners of the open space is not in the same plane either so we can't sketch in any one plane. Is there any efficient way to connect the edges? We've tried the surface: style tool which worked for some of the smaller holes but did not work for this big one since there is a limit to 100 lines for this tool and we have somewhere around 120 lines that need connecting. Also I think the shape might be too advanced for this tool but I'm not sure.

4 REPLIES 4

A couple ideas:

You might want to try the Remove tool from FMX. It might be able to recognize the opening and then patch it.

Also, I can't remember the restrictions of the N-sided surface tool. It is available from the Conic / N-sided surface command, which is available when you set the config option enable_obsoleted_features to yes.

Looks like an interesting problem. Feel free to send me the file if you want me to take a whack at it. Also let me know what version of Creo you're using. (I have 2, 3, and 4 installed on my computer.)

dmartin@creowindchill.com

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com

There are no easy answers.  Reverse engineering surfaces is an art for tools designed for precision.  This may require a bit more power than we are given.  The advanced surface module will probably make this simple.

The only luck I've had is import data doctor.  You can remove holes and all remnants and the surface will self-heal.  Other attempts to remove features just becomes a nightmare to correct sufficiently.

In case it helps, you can use a point for the second reference in a boundary blend 🙂

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:Rolfmeister)

Depending on how critical the approximation to the original (imported) surface is, I would rather create a new co-planar surface by projecting the external edges(surface outline) to a plane.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BHOoi)

I agree with both Tom and BH.  From the pic, it looks like a simple planar surface, so it should be easy to fix by picking edges.  That said, I guess I'm wondering why you're having trouble with it.  Is it NOT a planar surface?

Top Tags