cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Question about chamfer tool

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Question about chamfer tool

Hi all,

i am trying to chamfer 1 edge of a solid rectangular block, what is difficult about that you may ask? well i want a variable depth chamfer, 0 at one end, 10 x 10 at the other. I have never had cause to do this until now, & thought it would be straight forward enough, but think again, you do not appear to have this option within the chamfer tool. Am i missing something? For now i have constructed a flat surface & used solidify, i achieve the desired effect, but it took 6 features instead of 1 to get there. Also, while i have your attention, what is the difference between D x D & O x O, & D1 x D2 & O1 x O2. From what i can see the first pairing do exactly the same thing, as does the second pairing.

Regards

John

3 REPLIES 3

Hi again,

i just went back to it & figured it out. For anyone that is interested, i used the corner chamfer tool & specified 100 x (my block length) x 10 x 10 for the values, gave me exactly what i wanted in 1 feature. My other question still stands, the difference between.........

Regards

John

Hi John...

I think I've asswered your question in the attached slides. I hope I've made the difference clear enough. Basically for 90 degree angles, the results look the same. The difference lies in the way the chamfer is measured. You can start to see a difference for non-90 degree angles.

See the attached slides and let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks!

-Brian

Slide1.PNGSlide2.PNG

Slide3.PNG

Slide4.PNG

Slide5.PNG

Slide6.PNG

Make sure to click on the pictures... they will pop up as LARGE sized slides so you can read them.

Top Tags