cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Reverse Engineering Extension (REX) & 3D Scanner

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Reverse Engineering Extension (REX) & 3D Scanner

We are considering the reverse engineering extension for use with a Romer arm mounted 3D scanner and would love any feedback on REX vs. dedicated tools like Geomagic's Design X.

Specifically, how does REX work at converting scan data to geometric information.  For example, if I know a surface is planar or cylindrical, does REX have tools built in to allow me to convert the point data in those areas to true cylinders & planes?

REX looks to be the less expensive solution, but Design X has what looks to be an impressive set of geometry creation tools.  It will also, supposedly, convert those edits into true Creo features so the design intent comes through to the Creo model.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
2 REPLIES 2
jfontana
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

Doug,

Yes, as far as making planer and cylintrical geometry it works well. I will state that REX has not been updated in a long time so newer tools like Design X may be more robust. All of the training material the I have are from ProE 2 and 3.  I have attached a doc that has a typical workflow.

Thanks, I'll take a look at this later.  Too many deadlines to look at it now.

I doubt Design X is in the cards, simply too expensive.  However, we are looking at Spaceclaim vs. REX.  Spaceclaim looks to be cheaper, but we'd get an IGES or STEP file to import into Creo instead of Creo native.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags