cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Surface Through Points

ptc-4972872
1-Newbie

Surface Through Points

Is there any way to create a surface through points?

6 REPLIES 6

Typically you need edges to start. You can draw a pair of datum curves through points and use the Boundary Blend to join them. There are a lot of options in Boundary Blend to help control the surface including adding control points.

Thanks. The method you discribed is the way I have been doing it. Idealy I would like to select many points on a surface with a FaroArm and then be able to connect them with a best fit surface either in the Faro software or Creo 2.0.

I think the only way you could do it and get a NURBs surface is to have the points projected onto a plane that is nearest them and then create a curve through them and make the surface as you already eluded to. I don't think you can do it with random points in the U and V direction.

Otherwise all you get is not a real surface but a triangulation surface file like an STL file etc.

It would probably just be easier to get the extension that is meant for this rather than messing around with it to much.

http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/reverse-engineering-extension

Actually, REX is not good value for your money.

Depending on your goals it's preferable to use:

-Rapidform XOR or Geomagic Studio (for reverse engineering)

-Rapidform XOV or Geomagic Qualify Probe (for inspection).

I'm not sure about FARO software, but maybe it is possible to create a surface in IGES format from the point cloud data.

At least our 3D scanner software (Dr. Picza) from Roland can do it without any problem (File-Export-IGES).

pe.jpg

Vlad, in my opinion, the Faro software must have some ability to do this. I have contacted Faro and have not recieved a response yet. Your other suggestions were somewhat helpful. Thank you!

You are welcome, Travis!

Top Tags