cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Surface -> project to plane is that possible in Creo?

efiks
4-Participant

Surface -> project to plane is that possible in Creo?

Hi Again,

I have simple surface as shown below and trying to do simple operation to project to plane.

Any idea how to do that ?(i'm solidworks user and trying to switch to creo 🙂 )

surface.JPGSurface 2.JPG

I already tryed link below but i'm not able to select abow surface:

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_dma/usascii/index.html#page/dma%2Fdirect_modeling%2Fexample_silhouette_edges_of_faces.html%23&_ga=2.232889497.689925523.1513677806-1685930551.1513468304

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:efiks)

@efiks wrote:

Thank you,

It is working on that simple example but finally i want to use project - surface operation on "swept blend" feature and it is not working ?! strange cos that is preaty basic cad operation 😞

Regards

Damian

A limitation of the project function is that it does not work on silhouette edges that are splines.

You can create a sihouette trim, however, to produse a surface edge that you can then project.

1. Make a copy of the swept blend surface that you want to project. (select the surface, ctrl-C to copy, ctrl-V to paste)
  2. Select the copied surface feature and select trim from the Editing section of the Model tab.
  3. Pic the plane that you want to sketch on as your trim plane.  It does not need to intersect the surface.
  4. Select the "silhouette" button on the trim dashboard.Capture.JPG

5. This will trim the surface at the silhouette edge (you can choose to keep either or bnoth sides of the quilt) and provide you with an edge that you can project into your sketch.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

@efiks wrote:

Hi Again,

I have simple surface as shown below and trying to do simple operation to project to plane.

Any idea how to do that ?(i'm solidworks user and trying to switch to creo 🙂 )

surface.JPGSurface 2.JPG

I already tryed link below but i'm not able to select abow surface:

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_dma/usascii/index.html#page/dma%2Fdirect_modeling%2Fexample_silhouette_edges_of_faces.html%23&_ga=2.232889497.689925523.1513677806-1685930551.1513468304

First, you tagged this as Parametric but the help link is for Creo Direct.  Here's the link to the project command in Creo Parametric:

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/part_modeling%2Fsketcher%2FAbout_the_Project_Command.html%23

That said, in order to project a silhouette edge you need to be in sketch orientation or Creo can't "see" the silhouette edge.  Creo cannot project a sihouette edge from a lofted surface that would end up being a pline, but in your image, it looks like you dealing with an extruded surface so it should work.  Put the model in sketch view orientation first and try again.

--
LinkedIn
efiks
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

Thank you,

It is working on that simple example but finally i want to use project - surface operation on "swept blend" feature and it is not working ?! strange cos that is preaty basic cad operation 😞

Regards

Damian

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

@efiks wrote:

Thank you,

Regards

Damian

A limitation of the project function is that it does not work on silhouette edges that are splines.

You can create a sihouette trim, however, to produse a surface edge that you can then project.

1. Make a copy of the swept blend surface that you want to project. (select the surface, ctrl-C to copy, ctrl-V to paste)
  2. Select the copied surface feature and select trim from the Editing section of the Model tab.
  3. Pic the plane that you want to sketch on as your trim plane.  It does not need to intersect the surface.
  4. Select the "silhouette" button on the trim dashboard.Capture.JPG

5. This will trim the surface at the silhouette edge (you can choose to keep either or bnoth sides of the quilt) and provide you with an edge that you can project into your sketch.
--
LinkedIn
kdirth
20-Turquoise

Adding a Silhouette Curve to the surface will place a curve on the surface that can then be projected onto the plane.  We use it to visualise parting lines on parts.  I don't believe it is in the standard package but it can be copied from one model to another without loading the license.

Capture.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags