cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Surface milling by cutlines removed in Creo2

paulcoombs
1-Newbie

Surface milling by cutlines removed in Creo2

Thankyou PTC, for removing one of the best features in your manufacturing option.

I can see you 'tried' to replace it with cutline milling, but whilst the end result may be the same in terms of NC code, the command interface is seriously slow, clunky and has brought my workstation to it's knee's on the multiple attempts using it.

Creo 2 (M020) now uninstalled and back to Creo 1, I will not renew maintainace contract unless this improves or goes back to how it was, there's no point if the newer versions aren't any better !?

Just don't understand why you (PTC) have to fiddle with features that work REALLY well, and keep your existing user-base from straying to other software, of which some are now much better and cheaper to license

Thankyou again

Paul

9 REPLIES 9

Thankyou Sergey, What you replied with wasn't what I meant.

With surface milling sequences, in Pro/E from 2001, Wildfire 1-5, and Creo 1, there was the option to select surfacing by 'cutlines'.

That option is no longer there, as below...

by-cut-lines.PNG

instead, replaced by a 'Cutline Milling' tool, that slow's down a reasonably powerful workstation to a crawl for some unknown reason, as it seems to have the whole part background selected even if you're only trying to work with a small mill-surface ?

It's one of the tools I use most often, and can't understand why it's been removed ?

I appreciate the thought though, thankyou

In Creo 2.0 is a separate NC sequence (for 3x milling).

For 4-5x surface milling - old interface (dialog).

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:paulcoombs)

Paul,

I too have noticed a significant slow down in processing speed with cre0 2.0. You need a super computer to select more than a few suface items with the new chamfer sequence so I am back to doing chamfers with trajectory sequences.

Steve

Thanks Steve, Beginning to think I was the only one suffering !??

I don't suppose there is any plan to fix this issue? I feel the same way as the original poster. The surface milling with cutline option was pretty key. It was user friendly and didn't completely stop my computer while developing a tool path.

Cutline milling in Creo 2.0 seems like a pretty lame attempt to do the same thing with a slicker interface. It's like they started from scratch built a nice interface and forgot make it functional.

Thoughts from the Creo team?

try these hidden Config settings:

Set “ENABLE_CLASSIC_NC_STEPS” to “YES”

Set “ENABLE_CLASSIC_CUTLINE” to “YES”

The "enable_classic_cutline" config option will allow the cutlines option to show up again in 3 axis surfacing.

hope this helps

paul

I'm unable to find these setting in the config, could you give me some guidance on where to find them.

Many thanks,

Clive

They're hidden, so you have to set them in your config.pro file. They won't show up in the normal editing window for the configuration. It's usually a risky thing to set these types of parameters because there is no guarantee they will still be around in the next release, but sometimes it's a risk worth taking to get work done.

Top Tags