cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Weird question but I'll ask anyways....

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Weird question but I'll ask anyways....

I have some models where I'll create a mesh on them (Mesh surface) under the analysis tab, but I can't save it.  I'd like to be able to easily create a series of lines like the mesh, and use them for trajectories.  Is there an easy way to do this, or am I going to have to do it manually?  I mean, I like being able to create the mesh on individual surfaces, and being able to pick the amount of surfaces it breaks it into, but I can't save it, and if I could, I can;t reference it.

Anyone else ever needed this?

Grazie!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Meshmixer has a way of adding textures and features. 

Not an expert in that program but it is being used to make dead-dull CAD parts into something interesting.

Here PTC should take notice... Autodesk has made Meshmixer available to everyone for FREE.

PTC seems to think that manipulating facet files is worth a lot of money.

You'd think there was a happy medium here for us PAYING CUSTOMERS!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Frank, the only thing i can think of to quickly & easily achieve your goal is 'intersect', but i guess that is what you meant by "do it manually". 

Best regards

John

If I understand right, what you are asking is a fundamental CAD function, just not one users often need. You are looking for the U and V curves at different percentages along the surface. I suppose the reason they aren't given as an option to generate geometry from is that few solid model workers use them, just like they don't use the underlying triangles generated for the display. In contrast, Blender makes them very available, but Blender users are managing mesh geometry directly.

Back when PTC was at Rev 10 or 11, I could see a programmer knocking out a utility to do this over his lunch break, but now it's probably a decade's long wait, if ever.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dschenken)

Pretty much Dave.  🙂

I want to mesh some of the crazy surfaces I've made so you can see inside the part when they're printed as artwork.  Like a lot of these surfaces are:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QNFAKNW9Z/gyroid?optionId=151818&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VR8L28CQ2/borromean-rings-seifert-surface-5cm?optionId=3664684&li=marketplace

I mean, I CAN do it manually, like was suggested, but that's tedious......  I was just hoping for an easier way.  Perhaps I can step the file out and add the meshing in another software, hmmmmm......

Bathsheba creates her models via software she writes. AFAIK she does not use CAD (Updated: ok, she uses some Rhino. I first came across her work about 10 years ago. She advertised in Scientific American) to generate her mathematical surfaces work. I am not sure about the critters.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dschenken)

Yeah, I figured it was easy for them to create meshed models like that, whereas I've got to create the model, then manually create the mesh so you could see the internal detail.  Although, having to do it manually like that DOES give me some more artistic freedom as I ca tailor how it looks to the shape of the model instead of getting a generic mesh, so, there is that....

Meshmixer has a way of adding textures and features. 

Not an expert in that program but it is being used to make dead-dull CAD parts into something interesting.

Here PTC should take notice... Autodesk has made Meshmixer available to everyone for FREE.

PTC seems to think that manipulating facet files is worth a lot of money.

You'd think there was a happy medium here for us PAYING CUSTOMERS!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I was actually going to look into seeing if Rhino wouldn't do it, but, I'm all over free stuff, I might have to give that a try, thanks Bro-Fessor!  🙂

Remember that dead-letter box "Ideas" 😛

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

LOL  I TOTALLY forgot about the "circular file"......  🙂

Top Tags