cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Which element(s) to look for when extracting an image snapshot from a .prt file?

ptc-5331071
1-Newbie

Which element(s) to look for when extracting an image snapshot from a .prt file?

Hi all,

I am trying to extract an image snapshot from a Pro/Engineer (.prt) file for the purpose of displaying. The underlying goal is to enable people to quickly pinpoint design files of interest in deep archives containing design files of all sorts (Pro/Engineer, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, ...). By showing the thumbnail images, people presumably should be able to quickly relate to the search hits and develop a sense as to whether a particular search hit is of interest or not.

Questions

1. What format does Pro/Engineer use internally for the .prt files?

--> [ I understand that SolidWorks uses the structured storage mechanism from Microsoft for the .SLDPRT files. ]

2. Where can I find information on the names and roles of the associated elements (at least the ones related to 2D image representation)?

--> [ I know PreviewPNG represents the corresponding element in the SolidWorks (.SLDPRT) files. ]

Best regards,

Baldur

P.S. I apologize if this forum is not the most appropriate one for my questions. I have been looking around online quite a bit for material on the internal data format, about the availability of a SDK (API) to Pro/Engineer, contacts for the technical support, etc. I have been able to locate a lot of material, most of which has not been meaningful to the questions above.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Hello Baldur and welcome to the forum.

I have no idea what is actually stored within the part file as an image or how to access it. However, you can force the file open dialog to show you thumbnails. One of the things to consider is that the file name has that version extension. This means you are not associating the .prt or .asm extension, but the numerical value that follows it.

All my Creo Parametric files in Windows try to resolve an image using Creo View. Somehow, that is where all these files are being associated with. Slow and tedious.

I do know there is a .jt format option somewhere in the files. This is a 3D representation used for various functions. When any part or assembly file is saved, there is a "graphics model" of some sort saved with the part. I only know this because graphics setting can make file sizes huge if the option is set to shaded.

Have you considered putting together a use case and seeing if PTC (starting with support) to ask how to achieve your goal? It is highly likely you are not the first to ask for this information. There may well be something that exists in the toolkit.

Thanks a lot, Antonius! I have sent an e-mail to marketing at PTC (-), and I am waiting for a response. I looked around for information on some sort of SDK (or API) offered by PTC, but didn't find much.

According to

http://communities.ptc.com/thread/33223

one of the biggest promises of Creo is to make Creo an open platform for third-party CAD developers. The thread does not list links to any sort of SDK or API.

At the moment, I am exploring how to view the PTC model and assemblies using the free Creo View Express 3.0 application.

Thanks again for getting back to me on this!!

Best regards,

Baldur

Not sure I understand the question.

Have you thought about saving it as a 3D PDF?

Or, you can just do an Alt/PrtScn for a snapshot of your active window, or Ctrl/PrtScn to get everything on all your monitors. You can then crop as needed.

Dear Frank,

Thanks a lot for the feedback! FYI, the goal is to extract the image snapshot, for a given search hit, automatically and display next to the search hit. Thanks again for getting back to me on this.

Best regards,

Baldur

Hello Baldur,

so if I understand you correctly, you want to display model geometry in an external tool, to illustrate search results, right?

Honestly, I doubt that 2D thumbnails are saved with the Creo models, but 3D snapshots/thumbnails are somewhere in the model. Since it is normally PTC applications that use it, there is no documentation about how they are embedded.

Regarding the "open platform", from my (Technical Support) perspective, I don't believe that it means "open to everyone to use the SDK without PTC even knowing" (I might be wrong though - wouldn't be the first time we move into unexpected directions).

I suspect that the idea is that you contact PTC for becoming a Software Partner. After all, PTC should have an interest in the solutions offered on the market.

Maybe you should start here: http://www.ptc.com/appserver/search/software-partners.jsp

Thanks a lot, Gunter (and especially for the link)! I have no problem with PTC being aware of my efforts. I will be exploring opportunities for becoming a SW Partner with PTC. Thanks again.

Baldur

Top Tags