cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Wrap in WF5 - what am I doing wrong?

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

Wrap in WF5 - what am I doing wrong?

Following on from Antonius' spring tutorial:

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-3864

I tried to do something similar in WF5, but couldn't make the wrap work.

In the attached version I've even brought the edges of the sketch in so that they're clearly within the surface.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious - would someone please show me what?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That is an easy one, Jonathan. You missed putting in the coordinate system in the sketch itself. By default, the Wrap looks for this and it it doesn't find it, it centers the sketch and re-arranges the mapping (in a bad way for the most part). So I recommend you -always- use the CS method.

CS_in_Warp_sketch.PNG

CS_in_Warp.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I can't look at the file since I'm on WF5/creo, but the #1 thing people misss is that you need a CS in the sketcher for the curve. Also, I like to make my surfaces a little larger than the curve to be wrapped so that you don't have a wrap on an edge, or falling off the surfacce. Also, depending on the complexity or ratio between the smallest feature and largest, you may (should) go to absolute accuracy of .0001 or smaller.

Screen shot would be helpful for those of us backward types that can't access the model.

That is an easy one, Jonathan. You missed putting in the coordinate system in the sketch itself. By default, the Wrap looks for this and it it doesn't find it, it centers the sketch and re-arranges the mapping (in a bad way for the most part). So I recommend you -always- use the CS method.

CS_in_Warp_sketch.PNG

CS_in_Warp.PNG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Figured that was it, its easy to forget!

... you can create a csys within a sketch?!? You really do learn something every day! What else is that useful for?

Thanks guys, it needed both of those in the end (csys and extending the surface - adding the csys worked initially, then after I increased the number of coils it failed and still didn't work when I set it back to one!).

Also, the csys thing isn't mentioned in the top layer of help for Wrap... but I guess that's standard for Pro/E. (OK, it's mentioned in About the Wrap Feature.)

1.Select the sketched datum curve to wrap onto geometry.

2.Click Edit Wrap. The Wrap dashboard appears. A preview shows the sketched curve wrapped on the first geometry that the Wrap tool finds in the default wrapping direction.

3.To select different geometry, click the collector next to Image on the dashboard, and then select the geometry to wrap in the graphics window. You can also select geometry using the Destination collector on the References panel.

4.To select the wrap origin, click the collector next to Image on the dashboard, and then use the down arrow to select the origin from the list.

5.If you wrap a disconnected sketch onto a multi-contour surface, and want to prevent the sketch from wrapping onto intersecting surfaces, select the Ignore intersection surface check box.

6.If you want to trim at the surface boundary the portion of the curve that cannot be wrapped, select the Trim at boundary check box.

7.Click Image. The sketched curve is wrapped on the geometry that you selected.

You've needed to create a CS in a sketch for a wrap for a long time, but now you can create a CS in just a datum curve, and make it geometry. GREAT for creating skeleton geometry. You only get to insert it with the XY plane plabar to your sketching plane, however. So, if you need it different, you'll need to add a CS as a separate feature.

Top Tags