cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Wrap text

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Wrap text

Hi all,

i want to wrap (not project) some sketched text around a simple curved surface. The wrap tool only works for straight sided cylinders, is there another tool or technique that could be used, i am using standard wf5.

Regards

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Having seen the Bitmap image, I would recommend "Toroidal Bend" for the feature. Toroidal bend is used to model Automobile Tyres. There is a good video on Youtube.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Wrap is available only for RULED surfaces. Can't imagine your surface, but then you may try "toroidal bend" . If it is just a few text, you may consider Projecting a curve on the surface, have a pattern of Points and Reference patterned Axis, and then a "Reference Pattern" of the texts. You may "UnPattern" it and then edit individual Texts.

The above description is what I could imagine.

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:John.Pryal)

Would be nice if you could post pic of your surface.

Wrap worked fine in Creo.

1.jpg

Im not sure what are you trying to do here. If text is just for cosmetic purposes you can use texture.

If you want to make text surface extruding around your part you can chose your surface then offset, select "with draft feature" and then chose text sketch. Tho this is a bit complicated by the fact it must be done for "front" and "back",csnt in one go.

It works great for straight sided surfaces as you have. Try to do it on a football or basketball. It would be nice if you could do this.

There you go!

basketball.jpg

Text was done with offset tho.

As requested, i have attached a bitmap image of a typical surface i would like to wrap my text around. The text needs to be level when when viewed square on, i do not really need to extrude this text, it is purely cosmetic.

Regards

John

Having seen the Bitmap image, I would recommend "Toroidal Bend" for the feature. Toroidal bend is used to model Automobile Tyres. There is a good video on Youtube.

Davor, i am not sure how you managed to achieve this offset text on the basket ball. When i attempt to do the same, the "text" icon is greyed out when i perform my sketched region for the expand area. Are you using a standard creo/pro-e license?

Regards

John

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:John.Pryal)

Sorry I forgot to mention the main thing about offsetting text and that is to make another sketch and "steal" edges of letters(choose loop) because letters in text sketch somehow aren’t seen as closed regions so you can’t use offset directly. Maybe PTC can fix this in next revision.

Davor,

The model looks really nice. I know this can be achieved with offset I was just thinking it would be nice if you could do it with a wrap function. By the way what do you use for your rendering?

Mike, most of my stuff i render in Creo. Sometimes i export more complex stuff to obj format and play with it in Lightwave.

Thanks Davor

Ah! That's exactly what I do... Creo for standard rendering and Lightwave for more advanced things (or animations).

Nice tip.

Here is another one on a sphere.Capture_PTC.JPG I have attached the file too for your study. The TEXT are NORMAL to the Surface. Hope this helps.

Capture_PTC1.JPG

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:s.iyer)

Thank you all for the replies,

i think i will start using the toroidal bend, i have shyed away from it in the past because of the work involved in getting there, it takes about 9 separate features to set it up plus a couple of relations. Another reason for not using it was, until today i only thought you could bend solids with it, but it bends curves too.

Regards

John

Top Tags