cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

how to Create Relation between two different motions?

ChandraSekhar
1-Newbie

how to Create Relation between two different motions?

i was trying to design a governor(portor governor) and i got puzzled when i reached a point where how can i relate the motion of one with other. The centrifugal force of the ball is being related to the translatory motion of the fly balls. so can anyone help me in making a relation between two bodies with respect to other or is there a feature related to centrifugal force to make the motion more realistic? please help me with this feature..

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can write the relation in the form of an equation. Convert the equation to the appropriate angle on the arms of the weights, and input the rotational velocity, and the resulting geometry, if your calculations are correct, can be displayed in the graphics of your mechanism.

If you want mechanism to do the math for you, then it is not a relation. You have to input the data and run the analysis from mechanism. Again, I suspect you require the advanced version of mechanism to do this. I do not have this.

If all you want is to make the links work together, this can be done with just the geometry. I suspect if you now drag the weights outward that the sleeve already lifts, correct?

If you share the model (save-as ZIP) and attach it to a post (using the advanced editor) we can have a look at where you are on the model.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

For a non-analytical solution, the links will take care of this.

If you drag the weights, does the appropriate action follow?

Assuming you have the model constrained such, this should take care of your request.

For additional support, you can also assign a rack and pinion mechanical relation. A change in rotation of the support arms (pinion) can result in a linear relation to another object (rack). However, your mechanism does not have a linear relation due to the links.

You can drive a geometry relation by using an evalgraph() function. This would only update on a regeneration of the assembly. The graph could be a motion capture when one or the other object has a defined motion. You can account for the physics with additional data regarding velocity.

I have not worked with analytical solutions, so I cannot help there. I suspect that using mechanism properly, you will need the full mechanism extension. In that case, you should be able to simply rotate the shaft, and assuming all other data is provided, the centrifugal force and be accounted for.

If you simply want a presentation, you could rotate the shaft, and rotate the arm holding the weight using a servo motor. Do the approximate background math to match the two motions and create a servo profile to convey such motion.

Thank you for that answer I'm able to achieve motion independently but I want the motion such that as the velocity of the governor balls increases I want the sleeve to translate upwards and as the angular velocity decreases the sleeve should fall. I was trying to relate in this manner but was unsuccessful so I need help to achieve such a constraint or relation so that I can achieve that.. By what ways I can relate physics to? help me related to that.

You can write the relation in the form of an equation. Convert the equation to the appropriate angle on the arms of the weights, and input the rotational velocity, and the resulting geometry, if your calculations are correct, can be displayed in the graphics of your mechanism.

If you want mechanism to do the math for you, then it is not a relation. You have to input the data and run the analysis from mechanism. Again, I suspect you require the advanced version of mechanism to do this. I do not have this.

If all you want is to make the links work together, this can be done with just the geometry. I suspect if you now drag the weights outward that the sleeve already lifts, correct?

If you share the model (save-as ZIP) and attach it to a post (using the advanced editor) we can have a look at where you are on the model.

Exactly ! The sleeve moves the same way as said and il definately work on the advanced mechanisms Thank you so much Mr. Antonius Dirriwachter

Top Tags