cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

how to convert this tube into sheetmetal

schopra-2
1-Newbie

how to convert this tube into sheetmetal

i have been trying to convert this tube into sheetmetal.i have used shell command to do it but its not happening.

i have tried it using publish geomerty and then copy the surface to new part and then flattening the quilt here it say unalble to regenerate the part.can anyone suggest where am i going wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

9 REPLIES 9

Sorry but I still cannot open education versions.

Sheetmetal typically expects cubical stuff, not pipes. For unbends that are more than a general bend radius, it needs to know about an axis.

Flatten quilt is also a tricky command. You should be able to do this with a simple zero offset surface.

flatten_quilt.PNG

sir how to specify the point in flatten quilt which the software asks

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:schopra-2)

Flatten quilt can be inaccurate if you are unbending sheetmetal that is bent in 2 directions. Tho in your case better option would be to draw new pipe without cutouts then make sketched rip. Then make those cutouts. Or if its imported part copy surfaces of those cutouts into your new part with whole pipe and then use solidify to cut pipe as original.

I cant open educational version so if you can give us step/iges it would be helpfull.

1.png

Sagar asked before how to unfold a sheetmetal pipe using no bend k-factors and match the outside surface circumference. Unwrap was one unfolding a quilt was one option...

how to unfold the pipe

Sagar, you have to create the point on the surface to help the feature define where to unfurl from. I place it on the edge, in line with the datum plane. I also only unfurled half the pipe at a time. It may be possible to do the whole pipe if you merge the surfaces but you might have to make a seem.

This is flatten quilt for 2 halfs and merging them at the end of the process.

Notice the datum point feature in the tree and at the intersection of the datum plane and the edge.

flatten_quilt_II.PNG

sir i have used publish geometry command in orignal pipe part in which i have only selected the outer surface then i copied the published geometry in the new part and tried the flatten quilt command am i going right or is this the wrong way.i have also uploaded the error msg picfailure.png

orignalpipe.pngflattenquit.pngpoint.png

Is the quilt one feature or 2?

Try this without publishing. Offset one-half the face of the tube. Place the point along the straight edge of the offset quilt. Try the flatten quilt on the 1/2 offset surface first.

If this works, do the same for the other half.

One they are both flattened, you can merge the two flat surfaces.

This is a quick video:

Video Link : 5146

Top Tags