cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

modeling, assembling and mechanism of flexible wire rope

ptc-2092024
1-Newbie

modeling, assembling and mechanism of flexible wire rope

Hi., I am designing a counter weight arrangement for the door with flexible steel wire, pulley and counterweight. How to design & assemble the wire as flexible, such that during the rotation mechanism of pulley, wire slides up and down over the pulley, such that the connected parts door and weight moves up and down. Help me out Regards., sekar.r
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

sekar, Are you planning on using Mechanica or just straigh Assembly? If you use Assembly, you can control this situation with simple Relations, the wire depending on the Assembly for a dimension. Create a "U"-shaped Trajectory with a Swept Protrusion for your wire. Dimension one leg of the "U" which can vary, and write a relation to control the other leg based on overall length. In the Assembly write a relation to control the primary leg dimension based on the rotation angle of the pulley (use an angled Datum Plane when assembling the pulley). Then write a Relation to make the wire Part dimension dependent on the Assembly dimension. This is a brief overview; if you need more detail, let me know. David

Hi David., Thanks for the reply. If you provide some more detail, it will be helpful, in terms of pro/e wf2 part file and assemble files regards sekar.r

sekar, Here's a little quickie model to illustrate what I suggested. In this case the relations were as follows: /*SET 2 PULLEY ANGLES EQUAL: D5:1=D4:1 /*SET WEIGHTS RE: PULLEY ANGLE: D3:1=1.5+((D4:1/360)*PI) /*SET WIRE LEG LENGTH = WEIGHTS OFFSET: D1:10=D3:1 /*SET DOOR OFFSET RE: WEIGHTS OFFSET: D13:1=8-(D3:1+PI) If you haven't done Assembly Relations before, notice the numbers after the colons; they are I.D. numbers for the different components within the assembly and the assembly as a whole. The first two relations are internal to the assembly as a whole. The third relation sets the "leg" dimension of the wire (I.D.#10) to be equal to the offset dimension of the Datum Plane called WEIGHTS, which is in turn controlled by the angular rotation dimension of the pulley (notice small index hole on the rim) in the second relation. The fourth relation causes the door to go up as the weights go down. To make things move you only need to change the pulley angle dimension and regenerate. You can also leave out the pulley dependency (2nd relation) and make things move dependent on the "WEIGHTS" Datum Plane. The pulley radius is 1.00 which is why you don't see a radius value in the relations. If you want to make your wire a 3-strand twisted rope that's possible, too, but that's another topic. I hope this is helpful. David P.S. Click on the image, then click on it again in Imageshack to see an enlarged view.

Forgot to mention that in the wire model itself there is the following Relation: /*CONTROL 2ND LEG LENGTH: D2=8.5-(D1+(PI*D0)) 8.5 is the total wire length, D1 the length which depends on the Assembly Datum Plane offset dimension, and D0 the radius of the arc in the "U" shaped trajectory.

See preceding post for stranded wire.

Hi David., Thanks for your post. I am going through your post and get back to you shortly. Regards., sekar.r
Top Tags