Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow FSA to cache check-in

Allow FSA to cache check-in

Problem Statement:

Check-in is slow for remote users using FSA.   Need better way to support global development.

Solution Scope:

Allow check-in in FSA,  so that the user do not have to wait for the remote server response,  the actual check-in can happen behind the scence and deal with conflict or error.

9 Comments
Level 10

Hello,

your idea is part of my suggestions to improve the usage of FSA's in general.

See here:  FSA's should communicate for Uploads (Check-In's, Add Attachment) more efficient

koo
Level 6

Yes,  I noticed your submission after I did mine.  You have good write up of improvement details.

We have been asking for this improvement for a while and hope PTC can improve this.  This will make the global collaboration/development more efficient.

Level 7

Kah Oo‌ The idea mentioned here was implemented in 11.0 release of Integrity Lifecycle Manager. Request you to check if the issue is resolved at your end.

Here's the Integrity Help Center url : https://support.ptc.com/cs/help/integrity_hc/integrity110_hc/

Level 10

I'm sorry, but this informations seems to be incorrect.

Infos from FSA are the following:

"In the case of a corporate network failure, users can continue to work through their Sandboxes on their local files. When the network is restored, users can check in or resynchronize their files with the master project while the automatic synchronization updates the proxy cache with any new data."

This info does only tell that Client and Proxy does not have a major problem, if the Main Server can't be reached for any reason. Data will be cached and sent (or fetched) as soon Main Server is available again.

More important is following info:

"Operations that send new data directly to the host Integrity Lifecycle Manager server result in increased demands on the communication network and therefore are not aided by the cache technology of the proxy. For example, creating a project or adding large numbers of members are not aided by the proxy. To improve performance in these situations, compression properties can be set to maximize the available communication network. "

Data Direction for Caching operations are ALWAYS  Main Server => Proxy Server => Client.

Proxy Server does not Cache anything that shall be uploaded.  Benefit of Proxy results in Caching Downloaded Files (+ AutoFetch) and Compressing Data Transfer.  It does NOT  cache uploads.

See also my idea FSA's should communicate for Uploads (Check-In's, Add Attachment) more efficient

Level 10

What I like to tell is:  Status is wrong.  Afaik this is NOT part of Integrity Implementation.

Level 10

Once again:  Classification of this idea as "Current implementation2 is WRONG !!!

Please contact Mr. Kreuz from PTC Management, who can confirm my estimation.

koo
Level 6

Siddarth,  I agree with Klaus that the current Integrity does not implement our request,  understanding that caching check-in is complicated but would provide performance benefits.   I would hope PTC is looking into how to enable better global development (e.g. cloud based where replication of data happens in the back ground or better cache technology).

Level 8

Guys,

If this is about improving the performance of the Checkin functionality, then we did good amount of improvement in 11.0 as Siddharth mentioned.

If this is specifically about using FSA for check in/upload, then as Klauss mentioned, he already has created the an idea FSA's should communicate for Uploads (Check-In's, Add Attachment) more efficient

So, let's continue the discussion about the FSA improvements for efficiently handling content in the idea that Klauss has posted. I would rather close this idea as 'Duplicate'. Let me know if anyone has any concerns.

Level 8
Status changed to: Duplicate