cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Amalgamating linked documents

ptc-5351325
1-Newbie

Amalgamating linked documents

Hi All,

I'm looking at taking two documents that are linked together in Integrity and displaying them together as if they had a relationshipp in a relational database. The only way I've found of doing this is by exporting the data for both documents, running code to create a new line for each value in the 'linked' field and then joining the tables using SQL. (I don't have access to the database for running SQL queries directly so I have to parse the data)

I'm a new user and would like to know if there's any way to do this within the Integrity tool itself? For instance, if I have a requirement and it's linked to 3 test cases, my query will return this:

12345 | Requirement Summary| 50001, 50003, 50005

I would like an output more like this:

12345 | Requirement Summary | 50001 | Test Case Description 1

12345 | Requirement Summary | 50003 | Test Case Description 2

12345 | Requirement Summary | 50005 | Test Case Description 3

I imagine this is a regular request, but I'm not familiar enough with the tool to produce a query that will allow this output.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5351325)

Hello Rich,

Welcome to the community!

Based on your example, I assume you have the ALM solution installed. For this sort of issue, look at the report called Document Structure Traces - Tree View.

1. Open the document, or select the document from a query
  2. From the Document menu, select Run Report... (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + R)
  3. The Report Selection dialog will pop up:
    1. Type Tree View in the text filter at the top
    2. Select Document Structure Traces - Tree View from the list.
    3. Hit Enter or click OK
  4. The Report Selection dialog will disappear, and the report will appear in your browser:
    1. Search for 12345
    2. The entries immediately below 12345 should beTest Cases 50001-50003

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5351325)

Hello Rich,

Welcome to the community!

Based on your example, I assume you have the ALM solution installed. For this sort of issue, look at the report called Document Structure Traces - Tree View.

1. Open the document, or select the document from a query
  2. From the Document menu, select Run Report... (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + R)
  3. The Report Selection dialog will pop up:
    1. Type Tree View in the text filter at the top
    2. Select Document Structure Traces - Tree View from the list.
    3. Hit Enter or click OK
  4. The Report Selection dialog will disappear, and the report will appear in your browser:
    1. Search for 12345
    2. The entries immediately below 12345 should beTest Cases 50001-50003

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Thanks Kael,

The report I require needs different information but you certainly helped point me in the right direction! I'm coming from the SQL world where you must first build a query in order to build a report... I see that in ALM I can build a report directly with the info I need!

Either way, your reply was very helpful and much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Rich

Top Tags