cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Analyze License Denials

jwhite
1-Newbie

Analyze License Denials

Previously, our organization was able to use the server logs to determine the total number of license denials over a specified period of time (i.e. month, quarter, or year).  This allowed us to provide an analysis to management in order to purchase additional floaters or seats (justification for purchasing).  I've tried to review the logs as we have them now (after upgrading to 10.6) and cannot see any of the previous messages noting user name and license denial activity.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be accomplished?

An example of the error message noted in the log previously used for analysis is shown below:

2012-07-09 07:37:23,964 ERROR [mksis.IntegrityServer.License] Denied license MKSSourceIntegrity-Float version 5.0 for <UserName>

Through this we were able to pull both the time stamp (used to determine if someone repeatedly tried to access or waiting until the next attempt during a specified time frame), the user name to identify "who" in case we needed to purchase a seat license, and the total number of attempts/denials.  This was great and provided us a lot of usage information with very little effort.  However, I can't seem to ever get the log levels set to see this kind of information (even with DEBUG 10, ERROR 10 configured).

The [Licenses Denied] section of the License Usage within the administrator client shows only total number of denials within a snapshot time frame.  This does not provide me enough information to determine if a single user needs to be moved from using the floating license to a named seat.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly welcome.

Jeff White

2 REPLIES 2
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:jwhite)

Hello Jeffrey,

Have you looked at the FlexNet dashboard?  It should contain that information.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:KaelLizak)

Hello Jeffrey,

To follow up on this, it looks like that logging message was removed from the product (or at least the ERROR logging category) no later than Integrity 10.5.  I haven't had time to determine exactly which release it was, yet, and couldn't find the task which indicated this was done.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
Top Tags