cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Desktop (as sandbox) deleted

fpastano
1-Newbie

Desktop (as sandbox) deleted

Dear community,

a colleague of mine (not a strong PTC Integrity user) has created a sandbox pointing directly in the Desktop folder.

After that, he has dropped that sandbox (I suppose the complete drop sandbox: directory + files) and he has lost everything (Desktop included).

Is there any way to recover those files?

I think that PTC has understood the Desktop folder as a sandbox (due to the .pj file) and with the drop command everything has been deleted.

Now he's asking me a miracle, I suppose.

I don't think that my colleague was versioning those files on a server, so I cannot recover them in this way. He simply created a sandbox on the Desktop, without knowing what he was doing.

Do you have any ideas to solve the issue? Do you know if some of these file are stored (temporary) somewhere?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks to all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:fpastano)

Hello Fabio Pastano‌,

I suspect your user's best course would be to restore those files from a backup.  If the files have not been backed up, I believe some Windows operating systems have a shadow directory which has backups of files.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:fpastano)

Hello Fabio Pastano‌,

I suspect your user's best course would be to restore those files from a backup.  If the files have not been backed up, I believe some Windows operating systems have a shadow directory which has backups of files.

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Thanks for the shadow directory suggestion. I solved with these simple steps:

1. Navigate to the folder in which the deleted file had been stored.
  2. Right-click the folder and select Properties from the bottom of the menu. Select the Previous Versions tab.
  3. Select the version of the folder that contains the file before it was deleted, and then click View.
  4. View the folder and select the file that will be recovered.
  5. Drag and drop, or cut and paste, the shadow copy to the desktop or folder on the end user’s local machine.
Top Tags