cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Determining info on connections

Eric1
1-Newbie

Determining info on connections

Hi all,

When I send "im servers" I get back a list of three servers, production, training and sandbox. One connection was initiated using im connect, one by logging in via the Java GUI and the other changing the viewset.

Is there a way to determine after the fact which connection was established by which source? How about which viewset the GUI is currently using? Both of these preferably from the command line interface.

Thanks,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JoeBartlett
21-Topaz I
(To:Eric1)

That's right. 'im servers' will return the following when you have an active connection:
username@hostname:port (default)

When your connection has timed-out or your client cannot connect:

username@hostname:port (Offline) (default)

username@hostname:port (Not connected) (default)

Note that connections will not become disconnected due to idleness until at least 60 minutes pass. This is controlled by this property in the server's is.properties file:
mksis.idleDisconnectTimeout=60

Hope this sheds some light and have a good weekend!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JoeBartlett
21-Topaz I

Sure, as long as you are running Integrity 9.7 (aka 2009 SP7) or later you should be able to see the information about connected users. You can get this from the Administration Client (im admingui) or from the CLI if you are granted the Admin permission. The command would be:

im diag --diag=connections --hostname=[servername]

The CLI will give you output similar to the GUI which looks like the attached screenshot.

ConnectionsOutput.png

Notice that my server has 'jbartlet' connecting both via a regular client and the web (desktop client shows nothing in that column). If there were any API connections they would be denoted with "api" in the line as well.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, looks like what I'd like to get but this won't be from an admin connection. I'm using Python to access MKS through the command line interface and most users aren't admins. Is there any other way to know if a GUI session is active, that might be good enough? I can probably ask Windows but asking MKS directly would be easier.

Thanks,
Eric

JoeBartlett
21-Topaz I

Unfortunately that information is only accessible from Integrity. You could probably get open connections to the server machine from the netstat command but that doesn't really tell you which are Integrity users or how they are connecting.

Related question(?),

When is a license slot used? If I look in the task manager and see "IntegrityClient.exe" am I using a license slot?

Thanks,

Eric

JoeBartlett
21-Topaz I

This is a bit tricky to determine. You could have your IntegrityClient.exe process running but if the connection to the Integrity Server had timed-out and become idle, the license would be released if it was a Float license. In the case of a Seat license, they are always reserved for the users defined in the seat license groups upon server startup.

Basically:

- If using Float licenses, as long as you have at least 1 active connection you will consume a license.

- If using Seat licenses, seat users will always have a license reserved for them.

Hi,

So right now I am seeing im servers return nothing but IntegrityClient is running. Since im servers is returning nothing I'm not using a license?

I've seen "EricE@ALMP:7001 (offline)" returned, is this when the connection has timed out (offline)?

But if I see "EricE@ALMP:7001" or "EricE@ALMP:7001 (default)" I am consuming a license?

Thanks for the quick follow up!

Eric

JoeBartlett
21-Topaz I

That's right. 'im servers' will return the following when you have an active connection:
username@hostname:port (default)

When your connection has timed-out or your client cannot connect:

username@hostname:port (Offline) (default)

username@hostname:port (Not connected) (default)

Note that connections will not become disconnected due to idleness until at least 60 minutes pass. This is controlled by this property in the server's is.properties file:
mksis.idleDisconnectTimeout=60

Hope this sheds some light and have a good weekend!

Hi,

Sorry to have not included this question in the last round, running for a meeting and didn't think of it. I routinely have three sessions shown (production, training and sandbox); does that count as one license or three?

Have a good weekend,

Eric

JoeBartlett
21-Topaz I

Hi Eric,

If all 3 servers are pointed at the same FLEXnet instance for managing licenses and if they are all on the same version, then you should only consume 1 license.

Top Tags