cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Does anybody have experience in upgrading SQLServer ?

pmerkle
5-Regular Member

Does anybody have experience in upgrading SQLServer ?

I have to upgrade Intergrity 9.6 to Integrity 10.9. Therefore also MS SQLServer has to be upgraded, too (without losing any Integrity data).

Especially I need to upgrade from SQLServer 2005 to SQLServer 2008 and then from SQLServer 2008 to SQLServer 2012.

Does anybody have experiences in this area ?

Thanks,

Peter

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Peter,

SQL Server 2008 is supported for all the Integrity versions you're mentioning here (having to go from 9.6, to 10.7 or 10.8, then 10.9), so I'd probably upgrade that first, then work on the Integrity server upgrade process (you're going to have to upgrade in that interim version step like I mentioned above).  Once all that is done, then you can look at upgrading to SQL Server 2012.  That is probably how I would do it, as then you're using "supported platforms" for each upgrade version.

Also, be sure you read the upgrading guide first.  Check out this article, which has links to it:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS229118&lang=en_US

I'd recommend opening a Support case, to assist with the info/steps for this.

pmerkle
5-Regular Member
(To:MichaelChatel)

Hi Michael,

your proposal to first upgrade to Integrity 10.9 using SQL Server 2008 and then to updgrade the database to SQL Server 2012 is a good idea and I will discuss this with the customer.Nevertheless the cutomer want to use SQL Server 2012 instead of SQL Server 2008 because he has permanent licences for 2012 only. For SQL Server 2008 only use temporary evaluation licences will be used.

But my main concern is that there migth be serious problems / difficulties when trying to export / copy a DB from one SQL Server Version (2005 or 2008) and then import it into another  SQL Server Version (2008 resp. 2012). Do you (or anybody else) know about such problems / difficulties ??

Regards,

Peter

I mostly see customers just upgrade SQL Servers in-place (after a backup of course).  The importing/exporting of data between SQL Servers would be something their SQL Server DBA would be more familiar with.  Assuming they setup the new databases with the correct collation and setup (as specified in Integrity admin guide, for setting up such databases), I'm not aware of customers running into issues with that.  Perhaps the data move is to have the newer versions of SQL Server on beefier, more current hardware?

Top Tags