cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Field Relationship with an empty Source Field?

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Field Relationship with an empty Source Field?

Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? (migrated thread) Posted: Feb 7, 2012 7:08 AM

extern.jens-uwe.nixdorf     Posts: 68   Registered: Jan, 2010

Hi @all,

i have an item with two user fields ("A" and "B"). At a defined state ("Draft") the workflow in this item forks out and you can go to state "inAnalysis" or to state "approved". Now we want this functionality: If only the first user field has an entry, the item should only allow a transition to state "approved". If both user fields have an entry, the only possible transition should be to state "inAnalysis".

I tried to do this with a field relationship, and wanted to do something like this: If the source field (the user field "B") is empty, the target field is state and has the only entry "approved". But this is not allowed, because the source field has to have any entry.

We could have this functionality with an extra field (boolean or such thing), but we dont want to have an extra field

Any other idea?

Thanks, Jens
Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Feb 8, 2012 3:48 AM
Posted By:   matthias.rump     Posts: 166 /  Registered: Mar, 2008  
Hi Jens,

unfortunately you cannot control the availability of state transitions due to values entered in an Items fields.

I requested this feature years ago, and some birds sing it might come with the next I10 releases ( "constraints" is the key).

Nevertheless, you can get you stuff working if you implement a pre - event trigger. There is a sample script called "abort.js" that should do it for a start.
Define the trigger rule to abort with a custom error message, anytime an time of the defined type tries to enter the [new]State e.g. "approved" and the field "B" is not empty.

The only drawback that might annoy your users is that the trigger will fire after the user clicked OK or APPLY not before.

HTH
Matthias

Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Feb 8, 2012 6:35 AM
Posted By:   extern.jens-uwe.nixdorf     Posts: 68 /  Registered: Jan, 2010  
Hi Matthias,

thanks for your answer. I'm afraid that users will throw heavy things at me, when i do such things

@MKS: Such features are much more important than changing the position of menu-entries in the new MKS10-Client (which looks just a bit more ugly than the last one)

regards, Jens

Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Feb 9, 2012 9:46 AM
Posted By:   mlizak     Posts: 72 /  Registered: Feb, 2011  
Hi Jens,

Fair enough!  Most of these decisions are based on feedback from account managers in discussion with customers, and from Technical Support, in response to Requests for Change that customers are associated with.

Please contact Integrity Technical Support to have yourself added to the RFC for this. 

Warm Regards,
Kael

Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Feb 10, 2012 1:15 AM
Hi Kael,

i've done this already (having our company added to the RfC-List), but we have already a list, which is discussed with key-accounting (and sometimes also with people from MKS in higher positions) since the last two years, and some points from this list are just not done. Next month your new CTO will have a meeting at our company, i'm sure he will get some warm words

But, back to topic, for this special problem with the relationsip fields i will have a web-session with your support next week. I'm sure that they will help me...

regards, Jens

Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Feb 10, 2012 2:07 PM
Hi Jens,

Excellent!  It is sometimes frustrating for us in support, when we see several complaints about functionality from customers here, but the defect or enhancement in question only has one or two customers on it.

I hope you find your patience rewarded in the coming days!

Regards,
Kael

Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Feb 14, 2012 11:08 AM
Posted By:   rjohnson     Posts: 3 /  Registered: Nov, 2011  
Kael,

Can't we have individuals on it too?  Several of us engineers would love to see functionality, even though the client may not exactly know about it.  Just a thought.  We are helping promote the tool, so why not? 

Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Mar 2, 2012 6:41 PM
Hi Rodger,

I agree that would be swell, but at the moment, that's not in the cards.  I'll keep this thread in mind, though.

Regards,
Kael

Re: Field Relationship with an empty Source Field? Posted: Mar 5, 2012 6:11 AM
Hi @all,

web-session was deferred, but now the german MKS-Support had have a look at it and made an new RfC from this issue.

regards, Jens

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags