cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

How do we make a ViewSet that works on multiple servers?

smccoy
1-Newbie

How do we make a ViewSet that works on multiple servers?

Here's our situation...

We have multiple Integrity servers that are running the same, or completely compatible, solutions.

We create a ViewSet on one server and it works great.

We use that same ViewSet to view items on a different server and the colums in ViewDocument, Queries, and the "Relationship Fields" display the wrong fields.

We update the ViewSet on the this different/second server, and things would well.

We that ViewSet is used on the first server, the columns in ViewDocument, Queries, and the "Relationship Fields" display the wrong fields again.

It appears that ViewSets are "bound" to the server on which they were created.

How do we create a ViewSet that works on multiple servers in our situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise
(To:smccoy)

Hi Sean.

This is an identifed issue. (FYI, I have your open Support case).

The columnsets for the Items, Relationships, and Document views are meant to be used by one server, in its current design, because they have admin objects referenced in their ids and those admin objects are server-specific.

If one wants to publish the same viewset to multiple servers, one can create their copy, but then one needs to open it up for editing, connect to the new server and customize the columnsets to match, *then* publish to the new server.

I'll make sure you're linked up with the correct RFC for this.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
wspadola
7-Bedrock

Hi Sean,

Are you sure that your viewset has no connection settings specified? You may be running into a situation where a server.hostname or server.port exists there. See the following KCS article from our knowledge base:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS148397

Wes

Hi Wes,

There is no server hostname or port in our ViewSet. Here's what we're seeing:

1) Remove the .mks folder on the client machine

2) Fetch the ViewSet on server 1.

3) Edit the XML of the ViewSet and remove all the <ColumnSetDef> items within the <ColumnSets></ColumnSets> tags.

4) Rebublish the ViewSet using the Admin Tool

5) Launch the client tool and import the ViewSet

6) All columns are displayed properly (View Document, Queries, and Relationship Fields).

7) Connect to server 2 from client tool. ( Running the state version of Integrity and loaded with the same .IMT file as version 1)

😎 All columns are displayed incorrectly (View Document, Quieries, and Relationship Fields).

We do not understand, and no one is able to explain, the following:

1) Why this doesn't work.

2) What we need to do to get the functionality that we need.

-Sean

mrump
14-Alexandrite

Hi Sean,

as far as I know, not all of the config data you mention is possibly stored in the viewset. e.g.

- The visible columns in a document view are defined by a Solution property not the viewset.

- If you configure a view "floating" in you viewset (e.g. the "issues view" you get when you run a query), the views config data (columns, etc.) are not stored in the viewset, but in the general view configuration for the local client installation. There is no way I know to publish these settings (apart from custom scripting).

HTH Matthias

BTW: What Version of integrity are you using, as there have been some changes to viewsets during the recent releases.

smccoy
1-Newbie
(To:mrump)

Hi Matthias,

We are using Integrity V10.4.

What solution Property is used to define columns in the document view? We can do some experimenting with it.

-Sean

mrump
14-Alexandrite

Hi Sean,

There is a Property called

MKS.RQ.defaultColumnset.RQ_Documents.fields

in the Solution Type.

But I'd recommend calling PTC support for details 😉

smccoy
1-Newbie

Hi Matthias,

In our solution (based on GSD from about 14 months ago), there is no such property in the MKS Solution item type, or our Document Item types. I added this property in both places and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I'll enter a case number for tech-support on this one.

Thank you for your help...

-Sean

MichaelChatel
20-Turquoise

Hi Sean.

This is an identifed issue. (FYI, I have your open Support case).

The columnsets for the Items, Relationships, and Document views are meant to be used by one server, in its current design, because they have admin objects referenced in their ids and those admin objects are server-specific.

If one wants to publish the same viewset to multiple servers, one can create their copy, but then one needs to open it up for editing, connect to the new server and customize the columnsets to match, *then* publish to the new server.

I'll make sure you're linked up with the correct RFC for this.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the information.

We'd like to add to the "RFC", in the case that this isn't covered yet.

To the development team:

Please do not use the MKS Solution properties as apart of the solution to this. Our solution has multiple item-types that are segment items; and each segment type (aka Document type) needs to have its own set of colums that are displayed with "View Document". With several of the Document-related properties in the MKS Solution item type, the properties are global for all segment types; which causes problems for us.

-Sean

Top Tags