cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How to install two Integrity clients on one Windows 7 workstation

DanR.
10-Marble

How to install two Integrity clients on one Windows 7 workstation

How do I install MKS Integrity 2009 GUI client and PTC Integrity 10.6 GUI on the same Windows 7 workstion.

I recently upgraded one of our servers from 2009 to 10.6 and want to test it in the GUI client.

Thank you,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wspadola
7-Bedrock
(To:DanR.)

Hi Dan,

The key to running multiple clients is to make sure that they do not share their "client home directories", which are normally stored in your workstation's logged in user account folder. I'm going to assume Windows for now but the principal is the same for UNIX. For eg in C:\Users\jdoe\ you'll see a ".mks" directory; this is where all of your viewsets, preferences, and Sandbox registries are stored. For each client you want to run, I would suggest writing a batch/shell script file that sets the MKS_IC_INSTANCE_DIR environment variable. This variable instructs the client to fetch its preferences from an arbitrary directory.

You are free to actually install multiple clients into different physical directories on your machine, just change the path during the installation process.

You'll find more information in this KCS article:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS83602&lang=en_US

Also inside the Client Getting Started Guide for Integrity 10.6, you'll find information on page 17.

I hope this helps.

Wes

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wspadola
7-Bedrock

Hi Dan,

The key to running multiple clients is to make sure that they do not share their "client home directories", which are normally stored in your workstation's logged in user account folder. I'm going to assume Windows for now but the principal is the same for UNIX. For eg in C:\Users\jdoe\ you'll see a ".mks" directory; this is where all of your viewsets, preferences, and Sandbox registries are stored. For each client you want to run, I would suggest writing a batch/shell script file that sets the MKS_IC_INSTANCE_DIR environment variable. This variable instructs the client to fetch its preferences from an arbitrary directory.

You are free to actually install multiple clients into different physical directories on your machine, just change the path during the installation process.

You'll find more information in this KCS article:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS83602&lang=en_US

Also inside the Client Getting Started Guide for Integrity 10.6, you'll find information on page 17.

I hope this helps.

Wes

DanR.
10-Marble
(To:wspadola)

Installing multiple versions of the GUI client is a major pain if you are not a an admin on your workstation. This did not work for us.

pmerkle
5-Regular Member

In this case (no admin rights on you PC) the usage of Virtual Machines could be an option?

DanR.
10-Marble
(To:pmerkle)

Not possible. I work for the federal government and they maintain strict controll of our workstations. I cannot install any software on my workstation. It is to maintain the integrity of all workstations.

pmerkle
5-Regular Member

Did you try to install the Integrity Client on an USB stick?

Or copying a Integrity Client installation directory to an USB stick?

You then just need to run "im gui" to start te Integrity Client from the USB stick.

I have to admit that I have not already tried this ...

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:pmerkle)

Hi Daniel,

Without admin rights on your workstation, or the ability to install a VM/Linux on Windows/something similar, it's probably going to be a problem.

On the other hand, if you're not an administrator on your workstation, I'm kind of wondering how you're able to install the client at all. Are you trying to install the client in one of the Program Files directories, or are you trying to install it to a directory under your profile? What is the exact problem you are running into? For what it's worth, I've had clients from 2009 SP4 through to 10.7 running side by side on my Windows 7 installation without a problem by essentially following the steps on the article Wes referenced.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
Top Tags