cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Integrity LM: Functional Testing with Integrity STeF

No ratings

Intention

This document describes the consulting solution "Integrity STeF", which can help you to perform functional tests within Integrity W&D.

STeF5.PNG

What is STeF?

Integrity STeF stands for "Integrity Setup Testing Framework" to perform functional tests by entering and updating Integrity data through the Integrity API. STeF uses the FitNesse tool (see fitnesse.org). FitNesse itself is a Wiki-based testing platform to manage the test cases and test groups. STeF combines both tools by building the bridge between them.

STeF3.PNG

Related Use Cases

• As a functional tester, I’d like to test if the data entry for Defects or Change Requests can be done without errors by different roles, including state changes and proper handling of required fields.
  • As a functional tester, I’d like to test that all my triggers will perform as before after a major concept change in my trigger logic.
  • As a system tester, I’d like to perform a number of tests in one run, to validate that my system performs in a certain area as before after some system changes. For example, I’d like to validate if document entry is still possible even if I had to make major ACL changes recently.
  • As a system tester, I have to validate that the key process within Integrity W&D are still running ok, especially after installing hotfixes or performing an application upgrade.

How can STeF help you?

In FitNesse you use Wiki tables to define your test cases in a very easy way. Each column contains one attribute, a row is an Integrity operation, such as create item, edit item or even delete item (to cleanup your test case afterwards). Once done, you can connect via STeF directly to an Integrity environment and can execute the tests. A positive result will be indicated with a green color, a failure is indicated by red. FitNesse tracks the test history for you automatically.

Regression tests are one of the common requirements which fit nicely into the concept of FitNesse and STeF.

STeF6.PNG SteF7.PNG

Note: The screenshots above showing how a Requirement Document test is defined and executed in FitNesse. Such a test can be defined for any item type.

Status

STeF is almost 4 years old. It was one of my own first development activities for PTC Integrity LM that I did in Java.

Recently it was upgraded to the Integrity version 10.9, but should also work with 11.x (needs validation).

Special Features

• STeF can also collect data from Integrity for reverse engineering of test cases.  (see second picture above)
  • STeF handles also negative tests.
  • STeF can be extended with additional Java classes to handle almost all API commands within Integrity (also Source commands should be possible, although not implemented yet)
  • STeF can also call the Gateway or Reports or Charts or Queries, and validate them.
  • FitNesse can execute one, all in a test group or even all defined test cases in one single run (nightly tests).
  • FitNesse has a command line option.

You should not expect

STeF/FitNesse is not intended as a performance Testing environment. It’s for functional tests only.

Next Steps

If you are interested in STeF, contact me directly and I will arrange a Web Conference to discuss your Use Cases and possible implementation scenarios for STeF.

Version history
Last update:
‎Jun 21, 2017 05:26 PM
Updated by:
Labels (1)