cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Pulling an information from one item to another

ptc-5150641
1-Newbie

Pulling an information from one item to another

My question here is, is it possible to pull information from an item (say a checked-in text file) to be used within another item that is being created based upon information entered within certain fields? This is an integrated review tool/item that will ultimately parse through a set of checklists and allow the user to select one of three that are available, for example.

3 REPLIES 3
mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5150641)

Sorry Antonio, but I do not understand your question.

Please describe your intended use case in detail.

The overall idea is to have a review tool that contains fields with various information on the first tab, then another tab containing a checklist. The problem here is that we have lots of checklists and depending upon the information filled out on the first tab, it would change the picklist containing the checklists on the checklist tab. Once the checklist is selected from the picklist, it would need to be editable. However, we do not want the checklist to live within this review tool as this causes unnecessary maintenance if the checklist is updated. We want the tool to pull from another area within MKS where all the checklists are currently stored as .txt files.

mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5150641)

OK, I think I get it 😉

In you case I'd implement a IM pre trigger taht is fired when the value of you picklist changes.

Inside the trigger script you either

• add a copy of you checklist template as attachment to your review item.
  • read the content of the defined txt-file and copy it as default value into a richtext field inside your review Item

In both ways you would only have a "one way" relationship like COPY ON CREATION between your txt-file in source control and your review item.

HTH Matthias

Top Tags