cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

RDP 8.0.3 Implementer 2010 plugins question

ptc-4670881
1-Newbie

RDP 8.0.3 Implementer 2010 plugins question

We are running Implementer 2010 and I was wondering if we are able to install the plugins into RDP 8.0.3 or will it require us to upgrade to a new version of Implementer?

8 REPLIES 8

Yes, RDP 8.0.3 will only work with our 10.2 version.

You can request patch 186604 to get you to version 10.1 then apply patch 211846 directly from the 10.1 version, as 10.1 also contains the Implementer Update application, which allows you to manage your own Implementer patches.

Thanks Sharon. Looks like I will have to lobby our Sys Admin folks to install some Implementer patches.

Mike,

In Implementer 10 (aka 2010) we also released a brand new patch mechanism we call Implementer Update. It makes the patch installation much simpler on administrators as it provides a self service delivery model and automatically insures all dependent patches are installed. I hope your Admin likes it.

Marty Acks

Senior Product Manager - Implementer and Integrity

Love the concept of Implementer Updater, and I know you have big plans for it, but .. why is there always a but..

it feels like we've taken 2 steps forwards and one step backwards, because of the way the PTF is now downloaded directly from the PTC server we are unable to remotely install the PTFs due to the network latentcy, which may mean we just need to install fibre to my house and a dedicated line from the office into PTC.

I've been badgering Dawn and Sharon to let us setup our own repository locally, but thats not going to happen (until I figure out the structure of the MKS repository and rewrite it myself). So I wondered if maybe there was another way we could do this, maybe the ability to download the PTF files to a local PC like a "predistribute" promotion, where we could keep the repository function but perform a download of the PTFs prior to the installation.

Yours in hope for 10.3

Adrian,

Glad to hear about the two steps forward. We just had an interesting chat about the latency issue here in our office. We have some ideas and or questions. Expect a follow up later today on this matter from someone that knows this area better than I.

Marty

David_G
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4668126)

Adrian:

Creating a copy of the Implementer patch repository on a machine in your network is technically feasible, but I don't think it would do much to solve your problem.

I'm assuming that you are using Implementer Update on a company laptop, connected vua a VPN, to administer the Implementer installs.

Implementer Update would still have to download the patches from your local repository to the machine that it's running on, and then upload the patches to the IBM i. The network latency that's causing you problems would still be an issue. Using a local repository might be slightly worse, because the traffic to the local repository would have to go over your broadband connection and the VPN. When you are access the PTC patch repository you are probably not using the VPN (although that depends on how your network is configured).

Would it be possible for you to use a remote control application (Remote Desktop, Goto My PC, PC Anywhere, VNC, etc) to log into a PC that is local to your internal network to install the patches?

This way Implementer Update uses the internal networks internet connection (which, I assume, is much faster than your home connection) to download the patches and the local network to upload to the IBM i systems. Your home broadband connection would only bre used to access the remote desktop application.

David Gibbs

Principal Software Engineer, Integrity Business Unit

p.s. If you can use this problem as a rational to get your employer to install a high speed internet connection to your home, I won't begrudge you that. <grin/>

IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business! I'm riding in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education, advocacy, and awareness. You can make a tax deductible donation to my ride by visiting https://ptc.diabetessucks.net. You can see where my donations come from by visiting my interactive donation map ... https://ptc.diabetessucks.net/map (it's a geeky thing).

Thanks for that, it has opened me up a possible way in, at the moment I've outsourced it and have utilised the alternate weekends used by other countries,

we do have citrix access, so I'll have a play with that later (I know how to spend my Friday nights!) it just depends if I can get the updater installed on it manually or if I have to face the documentation mountain which allows us to get an application installed.

As for my broadband speed, I've just moved home and have managed to find the only place in the UK with a worse speed than that of the previous place. I should get some of the city folk round here to be doing this.

cheers

Adrian

I'm just thinking and typing at the same time.. so the updater goes off to the repository, drops it down to the Client, then sends it off to the target LPAR, so if we had a local repository it might be possible to create a repository side job to install the PTFs onto the iSeries directly from the repository rather than bouncing it off the client..

David_G
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4668126)

I've logged an RFC to add the ability to do offline and delayed patch application in Implementer Update.

David Gibbs

Principal Software Engineer, Integrity Business Unit

IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business! I'm riding in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education, advocacy, and awareness. You can make a tax deductible donation to my ride by visiting https://ptc.diabetessucks.net. You can see where my donations come from by visiting my interactive donation map ... https://ptc.diabetessucks.net/map (it's a geeky thing).
Top Tags