cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Requirement ID Prefix

WRC
4-Participant
4-Participant

Requirement ID Prefix

Is there a way to assign a unique prefix to a group of requirements within a document... I have two seperate but related projects, one is a subset of the other... Rather than recreate the subsystem requirements in the primary system, I need a way to identify each requirement by Document...

As an example, consider the car an entire system where each component had its own requirements document... so each of the following... braking, fuel, AC, lighting systems all have their own individual requirements. Can I have the following configuration for each systems requirements:

Braking --- BRKG - xxxxxxx

Fuel      --- FUEL - xxxxxxx

AC        --- AIRC - xxxxxxx

Lighting --- LGHT- xxxxxxx

Test cases for the car would show traceability to each of the above mentioned systems requirements...

In short, how do can I add a prefix to all  individual subsystems systems requirement to easily maintain and verify traceability?

Thanks.

WRC

4 REPLIES 4
D_Thierjung
9-Granite
(To:WRC)

Hello @WRC,

do you want to add your Prefix during an ReqIF import or export? Because you selected "Requirements Connector" i'm not sure what you want to accomplish.

If your question refers to adding the Prefix as a field to PTC Integrity - yes of course it is possible (for example using a pick list). But without knowing more about your solution i realy can't give you any indication on how best to proceed.

I depends on your current solution and what you plan to do with it.

You could use differrent document types (but i sounds like you already have those), an additional category on the document level to indicate different kinds of subsystems or you go down even further and add this as an additional category to each node. Or you just need to adjust your existing "Category"-Field picklist to reflect the type of requirements you are working with. 

Regards,

Dominik

WRC
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:D_Thierjung)

I selected "Requirements Connector" because it was the option that  apeared close to what I was asking...

I am importing requirements from another system and would like to add a prefix to the requirement ID auto generated by the PTC Integrity system. I also want the same prefix to be applied when I create new requirements in the future.

The prefix will become part and parcel of the requirement ID... as an example, all requirements for a vihicle's braking system would have the configuration "BRKG-xxxxxxx" where the  "BRKG" is the prefix and "xxxxxxx" is the numeric portion of the "BRKG-xxxxxxx" requirement ID.

There appears to be a related discussion/question here... https://community.ptc.com/t5/Integrity-Questions/Setting-up-the-default-prefix-and-number-of-digits-to-use-for/td-p/85420

VolkerEckardt
17-Peridot
(To:WRC)

Hello WRC,

unfortunately we cant have such ID prefixes in Integrity standard, but for sure we can add another pick field and let the user or the system somehow automatically fill in the right prefix for later analysis.

According to your request, you like to have it on the individual requirement level.

So, an additional pick list shall provide what you are looking for.

Do you think this is feasible?

Volker 

WRC
4-Participant
4-Participant
(To:VolkerEckardt)

We are considering adding a column next to the ID and think that might work as a workarround...

Please look at this discussion thread as it appears to indicate that adding the prefix is possible... https://community.ptc.com/t5/Integrity-Questions/Setting-up-the-default-prefix-and-number-of-digits-to-use-for/td-p/85420

Top Tags