Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft Constraints (non-blocking filters)

Soft Constraints (non-blocking filters)

Constraints are set up so that any violation will be prevented by a database error. We should have the option to create a constraint which is not enforced by the database, but simply as a way to trim down picklist options, for usability purposes. I have no reason to strictly prevent choices from being selected, I only want to remove options which are irrelevant to the user so that we can reduce the complexity.

For instance, I may say that a set of choices on picklist B is only available if picklist A has selected a certain choice. If I then find that items already exist which violate this rule I don't want to be forced to change them. Also if later some values are copied in a way which would violate the constraint, I don't want to stop that action because of the violation.

From Cummins' standpoint we have no reason to display an error message as a result of most constraint violations, and much of our development has had to work around this limitation.

2 Comments

I'd like to mention additionally that having this feature would save us hundreds of man hours. As well as preventing any embarrassing and useless constraint related errors from getting to our end users.

Another acceptable implementation for this would be to give us an option to allow the current value as a valid pick, whatever it may be.