Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNC paths for sandbox locations did work but was broken at 10.8

UNC paths for sandbox locations did work but was broken at 10.8

UNC paths could be used for sandboxes at 10.6 (e.g. \\server\sharename\subfolder) on Windows, but sandboxes were changed at 10.8 and project.pj files are no longer created; this information is stored in a client-side database. The new functionality no longer works for sandboxes with UNC paths (either importing an old sandbox or creating a new one).

The UNC path support was never offically supported (RFC 98965 ) so this request is apparently categorised as an enhancement request.

5 Comments

Though this was never "officially" supported, it appears that the current problem with it may be unrelated to the fact that project.pj files no longer exist. What seems to be happening if you look at the path after the UNC sandbox is created is that the initial '\' is being removed, almost as though it's being escaped.

Further, once a UNC sandbox is created and fails to populate, the resulting sandbox cannot be dropped.

If UNC pathing is truly unsupported, then I would expect the client UI to prevent you from entering this as a sandbox location in the first place, rather than allow it and leave your client db in a corrupt state with an invalid sandbox which can't be easily dropped.

For these reasons, I would say this issue should in fact be classified as a bug, even though this functionality has never been officially supported. Clearly something is broken.

Also, when you attempt to drop the resulting sandbox, the error message seems to be looking for the sandbox under the c: drive, which also seems to be a result of the initial "\\" of the path being replaced by a single backslash, which looks to me like they must be escaping the string since 10.8.

integrity-UNC-bug2.png

We've used UNC paths for sandboxes since 2006 and it still works in 10.7. Currently testing 10.9 and if this issue is not resolved, it will prevent us from upgrading.

Agreed.

This seems to be a simple code fix, so hopefully you can schedule it soon, as we are blocked from upgrading to 10.9 in the interim.

Also, we discovered that a triple slash '\\\' and a quadruple slash '\\\\' were ineffective to resolve the issue.

Much Thanks, and Best Regards.

E.I.

Amethyst

hi Jason

This is working in Integrity 11 release so we are closing this idea. There are no plans to fix this in 10.x release of Integrity.

Regards

Gaurav

Participant