cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

how to share only one member within a subproject ?

ptc-5066493
1-Newbie

how to share only one member within a subproject ?

I am trying to figure out how to share one file from a subproject into another subproject. I understand how to share a subproject and all the contents within by using Project -> Subproject-> AddShared. For example I have a subproject such as follows :

test\project.jp

ProjectSource ( folder )

ProjectExecutable ( folder )

Under the folder ProjectExectuable is a single executable file test.exe that I want to share into another project. How to do this ?

I tried Member -> Add From Archive and then chose this file but it does not seem to work. I think my IS department may

have locked down this operation and this is why it is not working.

Regards Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:KaelLizak)

There is also a "dynamic" way to use shared members.

[Using Michal Example:]

You can define a member rule on Duck.txt in Beta, that says "use the member revision from in project Delta"

This will "link" the members in each project using some specific member attributes.

Result:

a checkin in Project Delta will update the member revision in project Beta to the exact same revision automatically.

This works in both directions if wanted.

Note:

- the Update in project Beta will not appear in the CP used for the checkin in project Delta!

- the Update in project Beta run under Admin permissions in a server trigger script; so it will work whether you have the ACL update member revision given project Beta or not.

I do not know whether you IS department has configured Integrity correctly, but as a part of the Integrity Solution there exists a "ClientLink.js" trigger script. This must be configured in the Source Trigger config to be useable.

(This used to be well described in the Admin manual).

HTH Matthias

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-5066493)

You are correct. Add from Archive would do this.

I suspect the reason your admin locked that permission down is because there are some potentially unexpected results that can happen.

For instance, if you have the following project structure:

+--Alpha

| +--Beta

| +--Buffalo.txt (at 1.1)

+Charlie

+--Delta

+--Duck.txt (at 1.1)

If you "Add from Archive" Duck.txt into Beta, and then edit Duck.txt, The working revision will automatically update to 1.2. In Delta, Duck will still be at 1.1, but will show a delta symbol, so it really is in both places at once.

When you check in the member in the new location, you probably would want to set the Advanced Option "Force Creation of New Branch", so that the two lines definitely don't get confused. Of course, you'll also then have to keep track of which revision you intend to check out.

This is certainly do-able, as long as you make sure that the changes you make in the one project work in the other, but it is likely not going to do what you intuitively expect it to do if you want to make project specific changes. You'll need to think through each action.

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:KaelLizak)

There is also a "dynamic" way to use shared members.

[Using Michal Example:]

You can define a member rule on Duck.txt in Beta, that says "use the member revision from in project Delta"

This will "link" the members in each project using some specific member attributes.

Result:

a checkin in Project Delta will update the member revision in project Beta to the exact same revision automatically.

This works in both directions if wanted.

Note:

- the Update in project Beta will not appear in the CP used for the checkin in project Delta!

- the Update in project Beta run under Admin permissions in a server trigger script; so it will work whether you have the ACL update member revision given project Beta or not.

I do not know whether you IS department has configured Integrity correctly, but as a part of the Integrity Solution there exists a "ClientLink.js" trigger script. This must be configured in the Source Trigger config to be useable.

(This used to be well described in the Admin manual).

HTH Matthias

skamaraj
11-Garnet
(To:mrump)

Hello Matthias,

Will this trigger slows down server performance?

Will the trigger execute whenever I share the archive among different project? If so, this will leads to difficulty where I need to maintain a different member revision for different project (shares)

Regards,

Sathish

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite
(To:skamaraj)

Hi Sathish Kumar Kamaraj‌,

You can get a particular user's attention by typing '@' followed by their user name, with underscore characters ('_') in place of spaces.  For instance:  Matthias Rump‌, Sathish had a follow-up question for you here.

Regards,
Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
Top Tags